SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new here. My name is Denis Dowling and I am a professional skipper. I have about the same amount of time on cats and monohulls but am continually impressed with how much there remains to learn.

I am currently dealing with the build and commission of a Sunreef 62. After her completion I will be sailing her for min 1 yr from poland to greece and then to caribe. I have asked that the shipyard install a boomvang (which has never been done on their other yachts) and this was the response I received...

9. What is the potential and cost of adding a hydraulic Navtec boomvang?
>
>
> It is not possible to add a hydraulic Navtec boomvang. First of all,
> there is no hydraulic system onboard, it was never studied for a
> Sunreef 62. Secondly, on catamarans boomvangs are never added due to
> efforts of the main sail, that can be created on the mast. The reason
> is a different shape of the main sail, comparing to the monohull ones
> where the boomvangs are common.

Well I know that this response is flawed in obvious ways but I wanted to open the discussion on pros/cons of a vang fixed or hydraulic on a large cat.

For safety alone, what happens WHEN the topping lift breaks?

How does the vang limit the natural movement and shape of the main?

blah blah bla...

I have sailed a 58 voyage w/fixed vang, the 70something matrixes have what apperas from the website photos a hydraulic vang... adversely, the catana 58 and 64 have none but also have the coachroof above and the helms far enough back not to worry. An obvious answer is to check the topping lift for chafe on a routine basis. However, if I lose the main halyard, I want to use it in it's place.

Sails better than he rigs,

Denis

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Well I know that this response is flawed in obvious ways but I wanted to open the discussion on pros/cons of a vang fixed or hydraulic on a large cat.

For safety alone, what happens WHEN the topping lift breaks?
The boom drops if the mainsail isn't up.

How does the vang limit the natural movement and shape of the main?
If it is a rigid vang and properly installed, it won't screw up the shape of the main sail.

blah blah bla...

I have sailed a 58 voyage w/fixed vang, the 70something matrixes have what apperas from the website photos a hydraulic vang... adversely, the catana 58 and 64 have none but also have the coachroof above and the helms far enough back not to worry. An obvious answer is to check the topping lift for chafe on a routine basis. However, if I lose the main halyard, I want to use it in it's place.
One other issue to be concerned about when installing a boom vang, whether it is rigid or not, is whether the boom can handle the loads imparted by a boom vang.

·
Registered
451 Posts
D.i.y..

Design and build your own set up. Except for mast and boom attachments all you need is 2 way cylinder, manual directional control valve and manual pump and some hydraulic hoses. How much strain is put on gear is up to operater.They have manual backstay adjusters (hydraulic) what is the issue.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
RxBot-

One issue is that the boom may snap if a boom vang is added and the boom isn't sufficiently strong to handle the forces generated by it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts