SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
Boot stripes are fast. Some colors are faster than others. My boot stripe is orange, and it came with the boast that way. I am sure there is a faster color, but I have not decided what it is yet. When I do, I'll repaint it.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Reaction score
You might try a new color every year, construct a new polar diagram annually, and after ten years or so, you can just pick the color with the best polars.
Ya know thats a fine idea! Perhaps we could all do it, and build a database of which colors are fastest for which boats. What color is your boot stripe?

But we might be able to make some predictions. For example, if the sun is in front of you, a darker color might be better, because photons bouncing off the boot stripe will imped forward progress. Conversely, a bright color when the sun is behind you will contribute to forward momentum.

be sure to remove the old boottop paint before applying the new color so you don't get a build-up...that would be slow!
Oh God yes, terribly slow!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.