SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling the Perkins 108 and BW71C (10-17-012) out this week. while unbolting the propshaft coupler, I thought I would click the trans into fwd or rev to hold the shaft from turning while I undid the coupler. But, the tranny turns freely whether in fwd or reverse. Is that normal? I always thought that putting into a gear without the engine running would stop the shaft from turning, ie; putting in reverse while under sail to stop the prop from turning. Anyone with BW trans experience.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No that is not normal. I can't rotate my 71C by hand when the tranny is in gear. Did you know that the service manual is online? you can download it here free (not my website) http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/downloads/Velvet_Drive_Serv_Manual.pdf

There is also an excellent marine transmission forum, (frequented primarily by my fellow stinkpotters!) Transmission Marine Tech Talk

I hadn't been there in a while and it looks like their forum migrated to a new format. I recommend you try posting your questions on the new forum and try searching the old one for ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.