SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Guy
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diagnostics seem to be pointing to a faulty injection pump on our Universal 5144, here on St. Croix. Nobody on-island is really qualified to do a rebuild, so looking for any recommendations for a stateside shop. So far I've been directed to RPM in Ft. Lauderdale....anybody else have good/bad luck with them or another rebuilder? Thanks

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Just about any semi truck repair facility and cheaper than marine shop and I'm sure they do many more rebuilds than a boat place.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think that's a Kubota motor. If it is, you could buy new ones from a tractor parts supply place for less than it would cost to rebuild the old ones.

·
Old Guy
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm ideally looking for an actual injection shop (RPM in Ft Laud has been recommended), not a marine or truck shop, my understanding is that injection pump rebuilds are best left to folks who do lots of them, have the right tools, etc. Good point re: it being a Kubota, as it is indeed a Kubota V-1902 base engine, so maybe a new pump is worth looking for.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just had the injection pump on My Universal 5411 (Kubota Z500) rebuilt at a local diesel injection shop. Cost was $198, the cheapest replacement could find online from tractor shops was $433 plus shipping. Marine dealer price (Torreson) was over $1200. Lead time wouldn't have been much different, they only took 2 days to do the job. I would definitely go with a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sorry.. I was thinking injectors vs. injector pump

·
Registered
455 Posts
I always look on E bay first. Needed injector nozzles for the 5411as well, found brand new replacements there for $45 each inc shipping, local Kubota dealer was $71, Torreson wanted $401. Had the injector shop check the nozzles when they did the pump, found they were the real deal and good to use.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
dang i am glad i am in mexico as i just had a injector pump rebuilt completely for under 200 usd. with the other items i had rebuilt, lift pump and d tranny oil heat exchanger was under 300 usd. too bad you cant find an island tractor builder to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts