SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a long shot request. I am helping someone sail his boat from Liberty Landing Marina, Jersey City to St Thomas next week. So I need to get from my home of North Andover (or Boston) to the marina. I am looking at buses. I found one that brings me from a neighboring town to Port Authority Bus Station, which on a map looks pretty close to where I want to be. Is this my best bet or does anyone have any better suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take the train and uber on either end of it. I live in NH and get down to Newark 2x/year for work and NYC another 2x, and the train is the only way I do it now. A little more money, but a far better experience.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
+1 on the train. I did a delivery from Mamoraneck, NY, to Barrington, RI, a couple years ago. I parked my truck in Barrington and took an Uber to the train station in Providence. From Providence I took the train to Stamford, CT, then Uber to the Mamoraneck YC, and the boat back to Barrington.

Reactions: Slayer

·
Weekend Sailor
135 Posts
I think my first instinct would be to Take the NE Corridor Train to Penn Station, Hop a Subway downtown to the World Financial Center and take the Ferry across to Liberty Landing Marina.

Looks like the last Ferry to Liberty Landing Marina from WFC is @ 8:45 p.m. on Weekdays.

Weekday Schedule
Another alternative is the PATH train. The same ferry will take you across the marina's canal which is a couple blocks from the PATH station at exchange place. I hear the ferry costs $2.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Nothing in NY city costs $2 anymore; the subway will cost you $2.75 per ride.

If you come into Port Authority you can get the A/C/E subway train downtown to Chambers Street. You would then have to walk yourself and your gear to the World Financial Center and find:
Welcome to Liberty Landing Ferry Service
which will cost you $7.00 one way, but it drops you off right in the marina. Check the ferry schedule for times though.

If you get in too late for the ferry which stops running around 8:30pm the next best way to get to NJ is via the PATH train. Take the PATH train (trans hudson) to Newport or Exchange Place (closest). From either of these PATH stops I would try to hail a taxi to get to Liberty Landing as it is a pretty long schlepp over land to get to the marina proper.

I would never suggest you hop in a cab from Port Authority or anywhere in Manhattan to get to LLM, unless it was late at night and after rush hour. You would still be required to pay the tunnel toll ($15) plus whatever the cab fare is and it could take a long time to get through the tunnel to NJ.

The cheapest and fastest way to get there is the Liberty Landing Ferry service from World Financial Center.

Good luck and have fun, stay warm.

I also prefer the train to the bus for trips like this. A/C/E trains stop at Penn Station as well.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Tempest and ed have the two arguably best ways to go.

Amtrak, or a "real" bus line that costs real money but goes reliably into the Port Authority bus station, are the best ways for the big trip. And from there, taking a local subway (assuming you have everything on your back or in both hands) and then crossing over on the ferry, will be a slow but reliable and inexpensive conclusion.

Anything that routes you onto the city streets, like a "chinatown bus" will leave you to work out the subway routing yourself, which is not impossible just a PITA sometimes.

Anything that routes you straight into NJ, will leave you with fewer options for the final mile and pretty much require something like Uber. Unless timing is really tight...I'd relax and do the subway+ferry connection.

You might call the folks at Liberty Landing and ask them, if you're coming into NYC, what are the best ways to come down and across. If anything is shut for maintenance, etc., they should know about it.

And of course, do what you can to miss rush hour, especially if you're thinking of Uber.(G) After 4PM things can get very slow and crowded.

·
Weekend Sailor
135 Posts
Nothing in NY city costs $2 anymore; the subway will cost you $2.75 per ride.
Generally, you're so right, but not in this case. I checked the link that Tempest provided and it really is $2.00 each way. Granted, the trip is probably 200 feet in length... but it beats the mile walk around the canal (and the 1/2 mile walk from the light rail station).

·
Registered
21,761 Posts
I've taken Amtrak from RI to Manhattan several times, round trip. Some on the same day. It's incredibly easy, albeit, not cheap.

For your mission, I would stop in your local Enterprise rental car place and price a one-way rental. The local shop in NJ will come to the marina to pick up the car, if you coordinate. At worst, you drive to the local Enterprise and they'll drive you over to the marina for free. I bet it's no more expensive than all the bus/trains/ferries and much easier. Door to door. I've done it and was surprised how much less expensive it was than I was expecting. It may depend on where they need the cars and which sizes, so talk to them, don't try to book it online.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've taken Amtrak from RI to Manhattan several times, round trip. Some on the same day. It's incredibly easy, albeit, not cheap.

For your mission, I would stop in your local Enterprise rental car place and price a one-way rental. The local shop in NJ will come to the marina to pick up the car, if you coordinate. At worst, you drive to the local Enterprise and they'll drive you over to the marina for free. I bet it's no more expensive than all the bus/trains/ferries and much easier. Door to door. I've done it and was surprised how much less expensive it was than I was expecting. It may depend on where they need the cars and which sizes, so talk to them, don't try to book it online.
Great Idea, I use Enterprise, almost exclusively, even purchased a car through them once. Great company. They have a Location in Jersey City. I just priced a one way trip from Boston (area) to J.C. on the net and it's about $154.00. (economy) Might be less expensive than the Public Trans. and certainly more convenient with Luggage. Good Idea to call ahead though and confirm everything. I do a delivery to Eastern L.I. where renting a car one way is much easier than public trans.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Ergh, Liberty Landing isn't in NYC, so he's right, nothing in NYC costs two bucks anymore. IIRC the Hudson ferry prices are the result of the gods at the Port Authority or some other political cabal.

Last time I rented one-way, a neighbor gave me his employee code to get Enterprise's employee rate. Which was SOUNDLY beaten by Hertz Local. Even without a AAA or other discount, Hertz Local can be a great deal IF you call ahead. This is a program where Hertz drops off the car you reserve at some local store, typically an auto body shop or motel or other business that sometimes needs rental cars. The car will be waiting for you and the drop-off process is about the same, either a Hertz local or another "Local" desk.

And rental car quotes usually omit the taxes and the insurance up-sell as well, unless you have insurance that also covers their "loss of economic benefit" steal.

Just remember, driving down from Boston you've got the Hudson River toll$ in addition to the gas and the work. At that point a "Chinatown" bus becomes way less work and money.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
My bad edguy3. I see you were talking about the same ferry that crosses from north to south over Morris Creek/Inlet where LL is. That would be helpful if one got out of PATH at Exchange Place/Light Rail connection.
I think you can still get pizza in some places in NY city for $2 or less but not many.

Generally, you're so right, but not in this case. I checked the link that Tempest provided and it really is $2.00 each way. Granted, the trip is probably 200 feet in length... but it beats the mile walk around the canal (and the 1/2 mile walk from the light rail station).

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Tolls...My bad! With the EZ-Steal on the windshield, I forget they're only picking my pocket in one direction now. I'm just used to seeing the results after I've come and gone round trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts