SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course you all realize that the amount of marine growth on the bottom makes a difference so It leads to the following:
Am curious on how often do you clean the wet side of your boat?
And of how it affects the speed of your vessel?
Please note the WAG scale on how I feel it would affect your boat.

Ultra clean bottom 6+ kts:D
Average clean bottom 5+ kts:eek:
grassy bottom 4+ kts:(
botanical gardens on the bottom 2+ kts if you are lucky:eek:

So how does your garden grow??? :D

WAG = Wild Ass Guess:cool:

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
That's pretty acurate for my boat. I had roots attached to the bottom of the bay before I hauled and cleaned her. But then again, I didn't have any bottom paint at the time. Now the paints on her she's back up above 6kts and feels great. Sails a lot better, turns on a dime, points, heels less, everything. Makes a huge difference in a boat that light. During the season I plan to clean it once a month. I like going fast.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
The V-21 will do 60 knots......, on the trailer. Right now it's so full of snow melt that it's popping a wheelie. I gotta fix that today. Oh Joy is clean but on stands. I usually don't let Oh Joy get past the slime stage and the Venture is dry sailed.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Six Month season for us.
She gets a fresh coat of VC-17 every spring.
Only a tiny film of slime by the time next fall rolls around.
Than we do it all over again.

·
2,633 Posts
I hear from clients all the time how much faster they are after a cleaning. Last week a guy with a Beneteau 331 e-mailed me to ask just how bad had his bottom been, because he felt so much faster when he sailed the boat a day or two after I cleaned it. I told him he just had the usual, fairly light slime, nothing extreme at all (bottom less than a year old, cleaned every two months).

A lot of people don't realize (or care) that it doesn't take much fouling at all to have a significant effect on boat speed.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
A lot of people don't realize (or care) that it doesn't take much fouling at all to have a significant effect on boat speed.
I do!!

Under power or light air, the difference in boat speed for us is about 20%. Dirty bottom and fouled prop is 5-5.5 knots. Very Clean = 6-6.5 knts. All at the same engine RPM. Sailing in a stiff breeze we don't notice it at all, but in light air....

I think the effects are more exaggerated for boats like ours with comparatively large wetted surface area.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

My boat sat most of last summer. Early Oct. I took a trip of a few days just to get away and have time to myself. It 60 miles each way. I saw the fuzz"s at the water line. When I backed her out of the slip she felt heavy like I never felt her before. I got her under sail, as each hour went by I was picking up 1/10 th of knot. The bottom was polishing the growth off. On the way back i had pick up over a knot to knot and half just by getting the boat moving.

A bottom needs to move though the water to wash it's self clean.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I raced to Pensacola this summer and slowly cruised back, stopping in Alabama and Mississippi. In all, my boat was on the coast for several months and I did not clean it until I got back to New Orleans.

By the time I got back to New Orleans, I could barely rev the motor without lots of vibration. I hopped in the water and the prop was just encrusted with barnacles. The bottom had quite a bit of soft growth on it also. This is less than 3 months in Florida/Gulf waters!

I keep my boat on a bayou here and I get a lot of soft growth, particularly on the rudder, but no hard growth between cleanings (even on the prop).

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
You guys never heard about anti-fouling paint? Just curious :p
I sure have, I use micron, only the best for my boat. I wait until a cool windless morning and get out the roller with the extension handle. I can do the entire top sides before the day starts getting warm. The only criticism I have of micron is it does repel the bird poop!!

·
2002 Catalina 270
1,584 Posts
We're pulling "At Last" out this March to put a fresh bottom coat on her. It will be the first time she's been out of the water since we bought her in May of 2007. We decided that we could clean her ourself during low tides and that would be fine until we could pull her this year for a proper antifouling job. I don't recommend waiting two years but we decided to take a chance since she had a brand new barrier coat when we launched her. There are no barnacles but the buildup of slime is getting a little thick... not too bad though. I'm excited to get her all cleaned up this spring for a full season of sailing. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
We only get that thin layer of slime but it may be because we have brackish water you think that makes much of a difference on growth? The striped bass certainly like it. :D

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I should have asked on how many of your are cultivating your botanical garden on the wet side of your boat??

·
2,633 Posts
We only get that thin layer of slime but it may be because we have brackish water you think that makes much of a difference on growth?
Absolutely. Here in the Bay Area, we have both saltwater and brakish environments. The main part of the bay is salty while the further up the delta you go the fresher it gets. Boats that live up that way are cleaned very infrequently. In fact, any number of times I have seen boats leave the main Bay with a dirty bottom, go up the river for a week or two and come back nice and clean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts