SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if one needs to apply biocidal bottom paint on a boat used for lake sailing?

Thanks,

Dave...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is your boat in the water for prolonged periods or is it drysailed??
If it is in the water for prolonged periods, sure, you should not only have a bottom paint, but also a barrier coat. If it is freshwater, a good combination is Interlux 2000/2001 (the barrier coat--protects against osmotic damage--blisters) and VC17 (a bottom paint--Interlux product--good for freshwater--gives a smooth finish with teflon--to keep your boat fast--also dries very quickly after painting it on). I sail in Lake Michigan, and this seems to be a very popular combination.
Good luck.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sailing in the Great Lakes or a completely closed body of water? If you are in a body with no growth other than slime a biocide might be overkill. I sail on the Columbia river and except for slime which comes off when I go out I have no problems. An occasional scrubbing is all that is necessary and I feel good about not indroducing additional chemicals in the water.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Rob and Walt,

Well, it sounds like bottom paint is not a place I can save money! Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts