SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Reaction score
Neither. Soda blasting with an experienced operator will do the job in less than 2 hours.
+ 1

Soda blasting prices varies with the area. Also not every marina will allow it. Where I am there is a new dust-less process that will do the same thing, will not harm the gel coat and no need to tent the boat. In my case, to do it the long and hard way would cost at least $400 - $200 for the full face mask alone.

Another 500 will cover soda blasting. It will be healthier and money well spent because...

Scrape, Scrape, Scrape, and 80grit, to 250 grit... WEAR A MASK, WEAR GOGGLES, WEAR A chem suit!

It's messy as all heck, sanding is brutal.
By the way, NEVER again. Worst work I've ever done.
because of that!

· Registered
541 Posts
Reaction score
I'm thinking of soda blasting on my next winter haul out. Would there be any caveats to soda blasting in the Fall and then painting in the Spring?
In my opinion this is a good plan, specially if you plan to barrier coat (which should be done after soda blasting), as the hull will have the chance to dry out a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.