SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Interprotect 2000 is not an anti-foulant paint. It's an epoxy barrier coat, applied to a bare hull to mitigate water osmosis. They usually make a good primer coat, as well. You are supposed to apply your first coat of anti-foulant while the barrier coat is still tacky. It seems pretty severe, however, that it would all just "wash" off in one passage. There is either some fibbing going on, or a very bad bottom paint job. Or both.

Bottom painting can be a real hassle and get very expensive, if not done correctly. I'm a huge believer that you do it right the first time, know what's on the hull and maintain it properly. Otherwise, you're fighting with chipping, excessive wear, recoating more often, etc. In your case, I would be tempted to take all the anti-foulant down to the barrier. If the barrier shows any sign of adhesion issues (and it can if not applied properly), I would remove it too. Start over. You'll be happy you did, if there is reason to believe the foundation of your bottom paint is bad.

You can always contact Interlux directly. They get these calls all the time.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
When I bought this boat over 8 years ago, I had the bottom fully stripped. Applied a couple of coats of barrier and a couple of coats of hybrid paint (hard-ablative). Pettti Vivid.

Every year since, I have her lightly sanded and one top coat applied. Zero build up, zero chipping, etc. Looks new every spring.

Slime builds, but is easily removed by hand. This past season, I never cleaned the hull once all year (unusual, but it got away from me and the local diver stopped working weekends). Nothing but slime that power washed off after 7 full months in the water.

I know there are multi year programs that work too, but this works for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.