SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Living to Live
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, but I need to sand the bottom, and re-finish this year. Marina has quoted $600. Does this seem like a fair price? Is it a job that's worth spending $600 on, if I'm able bodied (somewhat) and my best workmate is a teenage son (insert joke here)?

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Many marinas now insist on doing the sanding so EPA and hazmat rules are not violated. Some will let you sand but you need to have vacuum attached to sander and or a containment system once again due to their concern they will be fined or incur costs of clean up. You need to talk with yard boss and find out what they will let you do and how they will make you it. Personally, I decided to split the difference and let them do the sanding and I'll apply the paint. They got me for $500 to sand a 46' boat so expect you are looking at about half that. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hey,

I assume this is for the 33' listed in your signature. If so, then, IMHO $600 is a VERY fair price. This assumes that:
-The marina will sand off ALL the old paint and not just scuff the existing paint
-That the boat will be repainted at least two coats of a high quality bottom paint.

I use 2 gallons of paint on my 35' boat. I pay about $200 / gallon. So before anyone spends a minute WORKING on the boat I'm already in for over $400 (need roller covers, lines, tape, etc.). I will spend at LEAST 10 hours sanding the bottom and at least 6 hours painting the bottom.

I would gladly pay $600 for all that.

Barry

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
$500 was for light sand on clean bottom with two prior coats of paint and two of barrier already on it. Does not include haul/splash. Just for sanding nothing else. Sorry for not including details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts