SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
375 Posts
engine intake i would want open with a raw water strainer like the groco Groco Raw Water Strainer with #340 SS Basket 3/4" Short just for the simple fact that you know the clamshell strainer will get clogged and create an overheat on the either the coldest day of year, or on the roughest day. in which case going overboard would not be an ideal circumstance.

my ac has a clamshell type strainer as well as the groco and i cleaned the clamshell really well last year, but when I replace the thruhhull, I'll likely go with an open with no clamshell cover.

·
Registered
Moody 376
375 Posts
This idea is intriguing. Why not use a large diameter thru hull with no clam shell nor screen which has a pipe attached which extends above the waterline? Then you have an elbow which leads to an inline strainer and then to the engine etc/whatever. To clean, unscreww elbow, insert a cylindrical stiff bristled long handled brush to clean the tube. Reattach the elbo.
could this cause a problem with the engine though. what if you loose your suction. then the engine raw water pump has to work that much harder to get the water to the engine? Ie much longer dry run for the water pump...

·
Registered
Moody 376
375 Posts
I would have opted for marelon 93 series. get rid of the corrosion problem, get rid of the thread changes

ive done two thru-hulls with the marelon set up. pretty simple and smooth install.

·
Registered
Moody 376
375 Posts
I have considered plastic NOT!
given your clearance issues I understand doing what works/fits. necessary evil...

Calling marelon thru hulls plastic, is like calling a Filet a ball park frank, yeah the ball park frank is cow, but thats where the similarities end.

You sail a plastic boat. :)

Marelon does have some added benefits, and many manufacturers are using them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts