SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ah, but when you install the scoop strainer, which direction does it point? So water is pushed in by the forward motion of the vessel, or with the streamlined section forward? I install them "backwards" on sailboats and "forwards" on power boats (like the Dyer 29 I'm finishing off). "Backwards" because I don't want a water column pushed into my engine sailing hard - and I don't have to be concerned about closing the raw water thru hull to avoid that. "Forwards" on the Dyer with the Cummins to "scoop" water and push it into the system. Unfortunately, we're loaded with sargassum weed here at 18N, and sure, you can close your valve and clean out your inboard sea strainer (daily) if you don't have a hull strainer. But I came to the conclusion to keep the hull strainer (properly oriented). I think it may depend on your cruising grounds to an extent and the type of flotsam you're dealing with. Barnacles are another thing altogether, and I've seen the perforated strainers absolutely stuffed with them. At least the grooved strainers you can get a screwdriver up in there.

·
Registered
850 Posts
That's kinda wrong. I've had my Pearson 10M (gone in Irmaria after I sold it) surfing down waves and clicking 10kn. I know better than to be forcing a water column into my 2 cyl. Yanmar 2YM20 at speed with the thru hull valve wide open. I called Groco on this a few years ago. On a sailboat, the slits face aft. But nobody does it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The scoop strainer is needed on an inboard power boat. The slotted is necessary these days or you'll be checking regularly for sargassum, which can clog your intake line before it even gets to the strainer. And yes, strainers on all boats before the raw water gets to the engine. On the power boat I left enough hose inside to remove it from the Groco and hold it above the waterline to run a cleaning snake through it with a brush on the end. But I don't think the open thru-hull, is a great idea, either, although Island Packet supports the notion vigorously. I can see why if you put those little round perforated strainers on. They fill up with barnacles quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts