SailNet Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
358 Posts
I have considered plastic NOT!
given your clearance issues I understand doing what works/fits. necessary evil...

Calling marelon thru hulls plastic, is like calling a Filet a ball park frank, yeah the ball park frank is cow, but thats where the similarities end.

You sail a plastic boat. :)

Marelon does have some added benefits, and many manufacturers are using them...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Marelon is a fiber reinforced plastic product. But then, so is your entire boat (unless made of metal or wood).
If you really must have an external strainer, the strainer grate should face aft.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay everybody drift the thread as much as you like! I am in possession of my LOW PROFILE BRONZE, buck Algonquin 3/4" valves A sailboat doesn't go fast enough for the direction of the strainer to make a difference and don't forget when you're below the water line you have a static pressure pushing into all the thruhulls which negates the reason to "scoop up" water unless maybe you have a jet drive you're not telling us about :D

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's kinda wrong. I've had my Pearson 10M (gone in Irmaria after I sold it) surfing down waves and clicking 10kn. I know better than to be forcing a water column into my 2 cyl. Yanmar 2YM20 at speed with the thru hull valve wide open. I called Groco on this a few years ago. On a sailboat, the slits face aft. But nobody does it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That's kinda wrong. I've had my Pearson 10M (gone in Irmaria after I sold it) surfing down waves and clicking 10kn. I know better than to be forcing a water column into my 2 cyl. Yanmar 2YM20 at speed with the thru hull valve wide open. I called Groco on this a few years ago. On a sailboat, the slits face aft. But nobody does it.
You are right. Better yet do not have a cast screen on the outside, as it's a proven place for marine life to grow. We do have a Groco strainer inside to catch seaweed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The scoop strainer is needed on an inboard power boat. The slotted is necessary these days or you'll be checking regularly for sargassum, which can clog your intake line before it even gets to the strainer. And yes, strainers on all boats before the raw water gets to the engine. On the power boat I left enough hose inside to remove it from the Groco and hold it above the waterline to run a cleaning snake through it with a brush on the end. But I don't think the open thru-hull, is a great idea, either, although Island Packet supports the notion vigorously. I can see why if you put those little round perforated strainers on. They fill up with barnacles quickly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts