SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I bought a compac 16 this week to replace my 21' gulf coast, Hoping to hear some thoughts on how to perform better on the boat, had a great day in 7-8 knot winds the other day, made about 5 kts SOG. Does this seem on par for a close haul - close reach sail plan? Thanks in advance!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
I'm having a hard time beieving the C16 can do (more than) half the speed of the wind unless it's a beam reach. Maybe its me.

So either your windspeeds are wrong (how did you measure) or your measured SOG is wrong (although I suspect you are using GPS).

·
Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having a hard time beieving the C16 can do (more than) half the speed of the wind unless it's a beam reach. Maybe its me.

So either your windspeeds are wrong (how did you measure) or your measured SOG is wrong (although I suspect you are using GPS).
I may have wrong wind measures, wind apps aren't always accurate. Sog was measured on GPS though either way it was a great sail!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Yeah I forgot to mention the C16 is a rugged little boat.. I HIGHLY recommend it in that size range to everyone.... Do you have the NEW C16 with the shoal/centerboard, or the older design with the round portlights and the shoal/scheel keel? I always liked the older ones in style, but the new ones are intriguing.

·
Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention the C16 is a rugged little boat.. I HIGHLY recommend it in that size range to everyone.... Do you have the NEW C16 with the shoal/centerboard, or the older design with the round portlights and the shoal/scheel keel? I always liked the older ones in style, but the new ones are intriguing.
We got ahold of an original cp16 from 1979, round portlights, and fixed keel. Not sure how i like it as it seems to move alot when ever either of us move around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi AJ
I, too, bought a cp16 this summer and love it. I'm 70 now and sailing again after about a 50 year layoff---work, marriage, kids, family, work, kids, family, work...so, now retired and have health and time. On the NC/SC coast, but the 16 is so trailerable that I can go most anywhere.
Easy to solo or small crew #. Yes, it does move some, but is a very stable boat and forgiving. Not a competition vessel, but not looking for that at this time.
Have a daughter moving to Houston. Are you close to there?

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Nope the C16 is about as much "boat" as you can easily get in 16 feet. I wasn't at all being harsh on the C16... I love them, I've recommended them to others many times as a great starter, hell a great trailerable keel boat.

About the only other 16 footers I've considered were the Precision 165, and the Capri 16... By far and away the Compac 16 is the heaviest built and highest quality of the 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts