SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I bought a compac 16 this week to replace my 21' gulf coast, Hoping to hear some thoughts on how to perform better on the boat, had a great day in 7-8 knot winds the other day, made about 5 kts SOG. Does this seem on par for a close haul - close reach sail plan? Thanks in advance!

· Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having a hard time beieving the C16 can do (more than) half the speed of the wind unless it's a beam reach. Maybe its me.

So either your windspeeds are wrong (how did you measure) or your measured SOG is wrong (although I suspect you are using GPS).
I may have wrong wind measures, wind apps aren't always accurate. Sog was measured on GPS though either way it was a great sail!

· Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention the C16 is a rugged little boat.. I HIGHLY recommend it in that size range to everyone.... Do you have the NEW C16 with the shoal/centerboard, or the older design with the round portlights and the shoal/scheel keel? I always liked the older ones in style, but the new ones are intriguing.
We got ahold of an original cp16 from 1979, round portlights, and fixed keel. Not sure how i like it as it seems to move alot when ever either of us move around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.