SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my first ever eye splice today. About half way thru I tossed the instructions and just went by how I figured it should go. I used the NewEngland Ropes Unifids. Confusing instructions. Next time I will use Knotheads video and see if that seems easier.

Anyways, it came out ok.

Attachments

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Did you tapper the core? Looks good, but I'd like to have a little more "fat" section where the core gets barried.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
splice is stronger if the fat part is longer. Splice looks smoother if you taper the core so it goes smoothly from the fat part to plain rope size.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It looks way better than my first time ever! I need to get some fids that are decent. I tried the Samson set, but the pusher bent the first time I tried to bury the core. Has anyone used Brian Toss' splicing wand?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I have and prefer the Brion Toss splicing wands. :)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have and prefer the Brion Toss splicing wands.
Uh huh,

Anyways, here is what I was trying to acomplish. Tapered the core for the second splice. I am just amazed how it all works out. Having that ring on there for the second splice added to the fun....

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Is that for a split backstay tensioner???

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya....what did I do wrong now? I was planning to use that to make the tackle a little shorter...

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
show the second one's taper up close ?

Not bad for a bunch of thumbs.

I'm a wimp, I stick to 3 strand when I splice.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just thinking that you might want to put a thimble in the eye of each eyesplice, to reduce the chance that the eyesplice chafes through. :)

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Great Job Thumbs,
I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Great Job Thumbs,
I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael
chicken... :)

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Maybe I'm using different instructions, but the core to core splice I do always looks like the fat part is 2-3x the length of the eye.

Rope work is sexy.

·
not-so-old salt
156 Posts
Yay ropework!

Good on ya. I got a knot/splice book for xmas and plan to pop my cherry this winter - thanks for the motivation!

If I don't do well, I'll just get Michael to do them for me.... :)

...I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Good on ya. I got a knot/splice book for xmas and plan to pop my cherry this winter - thanks for the motivation!

If I don't do well, I'll just get Michael to do them for me.... :)
Anytime Tony,
As long as you sign a lengthy waiver holding me harmless for damages when (not if... when) my splices fail. :D
Still waiting on your passage write-up.

Happy New Year,
Michael

1 - 20 of 62 Posts