SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my first ever eye splice today. About half way thru I tossed the instructions and just went by how I figured it should go. I used the NewEngland Ropes Unifids. Confusing instructions. Next time I will use Knotheads video and see if that seems easier.

Anyways, it came out ok.

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I have and prefer the Brion Toss splicing wands. :)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have and prefer the Brion Toss splicing wands.
Uh huh,

Anyways, here is what I was trying to acomplish. Tapered the core for the second splice. I am just amazed how it all works out. Having that ring on there for the second splice added to the fun....

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Is that for a split backstay tensioner???

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Just thinking that you might want to put a thimble in the eye of each eyesplice, to reduce the chance that the eyesplice chafes through. :)

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Great Job Thumbs,
I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Great Job Thumbs,
I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael
chicken... :)

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Maybe I'm using different instructions, but the core to core splice I do always looks like the fat part is 2-3x the length of the eye.

Rope work is sexy.

·
not-so-old salt
156 Posts
Yay ropework!

Good on ya. I got a knot/splice book for xmas and plan to pop my cherry this winter - thanks for the motivation!

If I don't do well, I'll just get Michael to do them for me.... :)

...I got fids for Christmas and cannot wait to give it a try. I'll think I'll start with three-strand first though. Seems easier.

Michael

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Good on ya. I got a knot/splice book for xmas and plan to pop my cherry this winter - thanks for the motivation!

If I don't do well, I'll just get Michael to do them for me.... :)
Anytime Tony,
As long as you sign a lengthy waiver holding me harmless for damages when (not if... when) my splices fail. :D
Still waiting on your passage write-up.

Happy New Year,
Michael

1 - 20 of 62 Posts