SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My offer was accepted and I'm buying a 40-year old Iroquois catamaran!

Now I need to change my name from "LookingForCruiser" to something more appropriate

"LookingForSurveyor"
"LookingForInsurance"
"LookingForShipping"

At least I won't be "LookingForMooring", that's all taken care of...

The boat is up in Ontario, and I'm down in Massachusetts, so I'm going to need to find a surveyor and shipping company. Does anybody have recommendations for surveyors in Midland, ON, and for shipping companies that can transport at 13' 6" beam boat ?

And how do I change my name from "LookingForCruiser" ? I'm not looking anymore ...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Congratulations, and where you planning on keeping the beastie... :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oh.. Oh.... Another speedster to watch out for besides 'The Dog' when I head up to Buzzards Bay :D :D :D Congrats !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats...... All I've ever done on a Cat is one day of ASA114 ...but man are they fun.

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might sail a bit on the conservative side to start with, so no problems getting knocked down by my wake for this season at least!

I feel very blessed by God to find a vessel I can afford that my wife likes. My grin is ear-to-ear right now.

Now comes the logistics part... insurance, closing, customs, taxes, shipping, registering with USCG, and I don't know what else because I'm totally ignorant right now...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A couple of excellent books I'd recommend for you are:

Chris White's The Cruising Multihull, which, although getting a bit long in tooth, is an excellent book for anyone interested in multihulls.

Mike Mullen's Multihull Seamanship is also an excellent book to get. It really details the differences between sailing a monohull and sailing a multihull.

There are a few things you do have to keep in mind when sailing a multihull that are very different than when sailing a monohull.

For example: reefing the sails is much more important on a multihull. Unlike a monohull, a multihull can't heel much to bleed off the excess wind strength. This is why a multihull generally reefs for the wind gust speeds rather than average wind speed. When a gust hits a multihull, it can't be over-canvassed, since the monohull just heels, but the multihull can't do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference in apparent wind that can come up when sailing a multihull. The difference is far greater than what you might see on a monohull. For instance, say you're on a catamaran sailing downwind in 20 knots of true wind. You might be on a broad reach and doing 14 knots. That means the apparent wind on the boat is about 6 knots or so. Now, in 6 knots of wind, you can have an awful lot of sail up and not be overpowered. Say you have the full 150% genny and mainsail up.

Now you come about to head upwind—the apparent wind jumps from 6 knots to 20 knots... and then the boat starts to move... now you're doing 14 knots upwind on close reach.... the apparent wind has jumped from 6 knots to over 30, and you've still got the full main and 150% genny up, and you're going to get into trouble really quickly if you don't reduce sail.

On a multihull, you have to think about what the true wind speed is, and how much sail you have up, long before you turn upwind. On a monohull of the same LOA as the Iroquois, you might be doing 7 knots on a beam reach, instead of 12, and have an apparent wind of 13 knots or so... and then when you turn up wind, you might make 8 knots, and have an apparent wind of 28 knots or so... or about an 110% increase in wind speed. The same conditions on the Iroquois might result in a 300% increase in wind speeds.. Just some food for thought.

:D

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sounds complicated, I'll just turn the dial down on the wind meter. Alternatively, I could put a mast on the bottom so if I flip, I just keep going.

I should become a naval architect with ideas as good as these!

Sorry I'm still giddy from the offer acceptance :)

I'll hit Amazon.com and pick those books up, thanks!

[edit - yes the offer is contingent on a survey!]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Do the amas remove for transport? I would determine transport cost before closing. You may be better off finding another closer to home.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
I feel very blessed by God to find a vessel I can afford that my wife likes. My grin is ear-to-ear right now.
Okay, there's a feeling I can relate to... blessed by God with a vessel you can love and afford, and a wife that loves the boat and sailing. Yeppers, I'm onboard with that.

A multi-hull, eh?

Congrats and many happy hours to ya'.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Catamarans don't have amas, trimarans and proas do. The typical way to transport a catamaran is to tilt the boat on the trailer to reduce the effective beam.

Do the amas remove for transport? I would determine transport cost before closing. You may be better off finding another closer to home.

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
Where in midland is the boat?
I know of a couple surveyors in the area and know of a good transport service that takes regular trips to the u.s.
I have the info in my boat.ill be up this weekend.

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The boat is in a boatyard in Penetanguishene (and no, I have no idea how to pronounce that), right next to Midland.

I'd love to hear any info you've got about surveyors and trucking! Thanks!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
If the engines are reliable how about a delivery cruise that will be the trip of a lifetime? Either down the St. Lawrence and coast of Maine or the NY Canals and down the Hudson on up? It would take a bit of time but you would already know a lot about your new baby by the time you got her to Marion.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The NY canals requires that the mast be unstepped and then restepped, and is mostly motoring. The St. Lawrence is a much, much longer trip.

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
My boat is also in penetanguishine.i think the boat you bought is at dutchmans cove if im correct.that marina is next to where my boat is, literally a minute walk.
I know there were a couple cats moored outside of there last summer.
Maybe the one you bought.
Ill be up working on my boat the next couple weekends so if theres anything you need let me know.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts