SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I pulled the trigger!!! I got my very first sailboat... It is a 1978 Macgregor Venture 21. The boat was well taken care of, the gentleman I purchased it from was only the second owner. The boat has new rigging and sails as of last season and had new bottom paint and keel winch this winter! The trail has some surface rust on it but has been serviced regularly. It is my very first boat I have owned personally and I cant wait to get out on the water. I was between the Catalina 22 and the Macgregor 25 for the longest time. But when I saw this boat come up for sail I thought it would be a perfect option without breaking the bank to make sure this is what my wife and I want to do with our spare time. Every Catalina I looked at in my price range would need either new sails or rigging and new paint, the Macgregor 25 as nice as it would have been to have the extra space I would not be able to fit it in the garage. When I went and saw this Venture 21 I thought it was perfect, 2 owners well maintained, a nice start!!! Anyways you guys have been very helpful in all your opinions on the Macgregor 25 and the Catalina 22, But I never asked you about the Venture 21... Give me your opinions, Lake Norman sailing mostly maybe up and down the ICW in the summer. this is my starter boat and if we fall head over heels in love with sailing I'm sure we will upgrade. But until then I think this is the perfect fit for us and only for $1200.00, Please let me know what you guys think and your experiences with a Venture 21. Ill post pics later!!!!!!!!! Thank you again for all your support and advice.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Does she still have those blocks of Styrofoam flotation under the cockpit?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Don't take them out, they are there to keep the boat from sinking should you heel her too far and take on water.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Congratulations! My first boat was a Venture 2-22. Google Earth still shows it in my driveway. It was a great boat to begin my sailing education on.

I removed the Styrofoam that was moldy and gross. Left the rest. First thing I did was take everything out and give the cabin a good cleaning from bow to stern. Then I had a marina glass up the head discharge hole.

It was good to me. I ended up giving it away when we bought the next one. I hope you have an equally good experience with yours.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
The Venture will be fine for Lake Norman! Seen lots of Lake Norman posts lately that's a good thing.

Great first boat, responsive, light, and stable. Maybe you'll fall in love and want to upgrade... mabye not... nothing wrong there either.

Good luck!

PS: New sails always makes for a sweet deal on a new boat.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I will need 4 Stanchions and a life line as it was removed for new paint and they did not want to put it back up. Do you know of a place to buy a good used set of Stanchions?
You probably don't need life lines and therefore you probably don't want them. On a boat that size, they get in the way and are just marginally effective. If you are sailing on a lake, you are not subject to rolly seas.

Stanchions can cause maintenance headaches if not installed correctly and even if correctly done, they will be another regular maintenance item.

My philosophy is to reduce maintenance to a minimum; a primary strategy toward that end is to eliminate gear/systems that are unnecessary and do not add pleasure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information, you don't feel the stanchions would provide the comfort people want moving toward the bow of the boat? Also does anyone know how many people you can take out for a day sail trip? I would think more than 4 would be uncomfortable

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Thanks for the information, you don't feel the stanchions would provide the comfort people want moving toward the bow of the boat? Also does anyone know how many people you can take out for a day sail trip? I would think more than 4 would be uncomfortable
Mine didn't have lifelines. We didn't take the boat that size out in conditions that made them necessary for going forward. I was the anchor and jib handler. I used the shrouds for balance when I felt the need.

The manual for the 2-22 said it slept five persons. That wasn't happening. Three for a daysail. Maybe. The boat was cramped with the two of us on weekends but we're tall and leggy. YMMV depending on your size.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Congratulations! I'm thinking you are about to have a great summer!

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
V21 was my first boat too.... well actually second I had a 7 ft sail/row dinghy but the V21 was the first "real" sailboat that I could take the family out in. Great boat, I had mine out in 25-30 knots of wind and it would really scoot along. I could raise and lower the mast by myself with no gin pole (just lifting it) and I am handicapped (both arms are bad). Have Fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so it has been awhile since I updated here. I took the boat out this summer and sailing was great!!! The evinrude that came with it needed the carb to be cleaned. I did that and sold it as I wanted to learn how to sail not motor. With that money I bought stanchions, marine topcoat paint, cd/am/fm radio with 4 speakers, new tiller handle, and some hardware. Well obviously not all that came from the motor sale but it helped. Then I decided to go with a trolling motor. Anyways the first time out all it did was rain so we cut the day short. The second time out we had a blast till the trolling motor killed the battery ( I didn't know trolling motors needed 24v), the third time out the sailing was great, the sun was amazing, the motor ran when we needed it too and then the axle on the trailer broke on the way home. So I have been collecting new trailer parts now all I need is the axle. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good place to get one? I was going to go with the 3500 lbs. one from tractor supply. Anyways, thanks for all your help!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts