SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

In a few weeks I will be working on replacing my current anchor with a Rocna 10. In order to have the Rocna fit on the bow I need to replace my bow roller.

The issue that I am looking for advice on relates to the type of material to use to build up my deck so that I can install a longer bow roller.

You can see from the attached pictures that my bow is not even and a small platform is needed so that the new bow roller is level. The new bow roller is quite a bit longer and will extend to the pulpit support.

The plan is to remove the current roller, seal the screw holes, install the platform to support the new roller and install the roller.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

W

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Suggest you use starboard or G 10 fiberglass, does not rot as wood
will and cuts/shapes/drills easy.
You can angle bow rollerslightly, if you must, to clear base of stanchion and deck fitting. Should make 2" wide roller that will fit your Rocna, make sure to note ID and OD dimensions of roller.
Use butyl tape to seal.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Starboard has its places, but not here. Use G10 which will require fine metal working bits and is a real pain to work with. The upside is it is pretty much impervious to everything and is strong enough to handle the loads a bow roller can experience.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Find the shortest SS roller channel that will hold your chosen anchor and no further. Every inch that it protrudes will provide a stronger lever arm to twist it when anchored in big winds and waves.
Use G10 set in thickened epoxy underneath and make that back up plate as large as practical.
We did all this to replace the prior owner's too-small roller on our boat. Not a hard project, technically, but reaching up to do the glass work from the inside was "challenging".
:)

Loren

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Im about to do the same...its one of those swivel type arms...dont know what the benefit of the swivel arm is but its what I have...

like mentioned above keep the roller close to the bow to avoid leverage issues

Ill be using wood however its what we have down here, although I could get a big block of nylon and have it fabricated...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up constructing a platform from G10 and it has worked out great. I took a bit of time to clean up the damage from the old roller as well.

The new roller had proper backing plates and is bedded with butyl tape.

Here are some picture of the finished job.

Now I just have to find a better solution for securing the anchor in the roller.

Regards,

W

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts