SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody out there have an external bow thruster, by eXturn, installed on their boat? I want to hear if it has performed as advertized. I am especially interested in owners that operate in a fresh water environment such as the Great Lakes.

Please, don’t lecture about seamanship, spring lines or learning to live with/love your prop walk. A good number of the marinas in our cruising area have narrow fairways we often find ourselves with stiff crosswinds that make the Admiral nervous. This is my wife’s idea and “happy wife = happy life”. :D

Reactions: jimgo

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
Amen to your last statement. I was prepared to give our new boat one summer without a bow thruster (it is nine feet longer than our old boat ... no two-footitis for us!) to see what it was like. But my wife came into a little money and decided she wanted to put it towards a bow thruster now ... she just feels a lot more comfortable that the two of us old folk will be able to handle docking the new boat better with it than without it and that takes a lot of stress off her. And that's a good thing because we all know 'when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy' ... so make her happy.

(ours is not an external bow thruster, so I can't comment on that).

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've had my eye on it for 2 years now. I could really use the added control docking on windy days. My bow gets pushed down fast.
Much easier install than a tunnel. On my to do list. Spoke to them at the annapolis boat show last fall. Looks like quality construction. Will cost me about $6k w/ me doing the install.
Have several friends w/ thrusters that love having one but haven't met anyone yet that has the Exturn
Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had my eye on it for 2 years now. I could really use the added control docking on windy days. My bow gets pushed down fast.
Much easier install than a tunnel. On my to do list. Spoke to them at the annapolis boat show last fall. Looks like quality construction. Will cost me about $6k w/ me doing the install.
Have several friends w/ thrusters that love having one but haven't met anyone yet that has the Exturn
Jim
$6k installed seems high for that sort of unit. There are a couple of traveling companies that will install a conventional for $7.5K. Florida Bow Thrusters quoted about that to drive from Florida to Lake Michigan to do one on my boat. I've opted for local installation instead. If you ever hit something with that external unit your boat might start to leak. Might also be an issue if you lift your boat out on slings.

GJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts