SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Jeanneau SO419. With the boat came a Quick bow thruster and Quick windlass. I have had the boat three seasons going into my fourth. Everything on the boat worked fine last year except the house batteries were not holding a charge and I wanted to increase my house bank. So I changed all the batteries...for the windlass and bow thruster I replaced the two Intimidator 55ah batteries to two Mastervolt 55ah batteries and reconnected everything the same (i.e., wired in parallel)...the bow thruster does not work unless I depress the Soderep ecans switch under the V-berth, which I never had to do before, there is a button switch at the helm. I haven't tried the windlass but I its all wired off the same batteries and switch so I am not sure where to go from here? How do I test the Soderp ecans switch or do I just replace?

Gadget Electrical wiring Audio equipment Automotive lighting Cable
Amber Gadget Audio equipment Electronic component Electrical wiring
Corded phone Telephone Audio equipment Gadget Red
Automotive design Luggage and bags Outdoor shoe Bag Backpack
Gadget Electrical wiring Audio equipment Automotive lighting Cable

Corded phone Telephone Audio equipment Gadget Red

Automotive design Luggage and bags Outdoor shoe Bag Backpack

Amber Gadget Audio equipment Electronic component Electrical wiring

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,938 Posts
A decent multimeter can be obtained for probably less than $50 throwing parts at it is expensive.

Just saying, if you don't know how to check things electrically find somebody that can.

Reactions: boatpoker

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I tested the resistance and got .2 to .3. I am trying to figure out if I can bypass the switch by putting on a common buss bar. All the fuses in the circuit are good. It seems like the switch is shorting out? I depress the top button and it clicks out, all the wiring outside the switch looks correct. Summer project....

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,938 Posts
I'm hesitant to say this but I will say, you could connect the two big wires together, you have a fuse in the same line so you should be okay. I'm not quite sure I understand the necessity of this switch. But it seems to have been set up as a pilot switch, it can't work if there isn't power in the coil that operates the switch kind of like a motor starter but this is pure speculation because I'm not familiar with it.

It's always been my policy to have my technicians (and myself) go and test the major component first
then, check all the secondary stuff.

in this case I would get a spare battery (with a fuse) and go right to the Anchor windlass and see if it runs then; check out everything else.
The

·
Master Mariner
9,332 Posts
Most often I've found most electrickery problems are ground wire related. Often it can be a badly crimper connection, which can only be found by pulling to wire to see if it comes loose.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,938 Posts
I went back and did a re-read of your first post, it dawned on me that the switch prevents running the thruster and the anchor windlass at the same time? which is why you would have to depress the switch, but that makes me ask the question does it stay on or intermittently on?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hello

I have a 2011 Jeanneau 409 with bow thruster (vetus) and windlass (quick). I bought my boat last spring and the 4 house batteries would not hold a change and the two bow thruster batteries were weak as well. I replaced all 6 (engine battery is good). To operate the bow thruster I need to press the power button on the controller, near the helm two times (this is by design) and then it works correctly. To run the windlass you need to have the engine on. To be honest, the only time I have used the bow thruster the engine is on too.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the input it's helpful...in the past three seasons with the boat I have had no problem with the windlass or bow thruster. I have never had to depress the soderep ecans switch before. I would power up the bow thruster via a Quick button at the main helm, the windlass would power up from either the Quick control on the bow or a Quick control at the helm. the bow thruster and windlass only operate when the engine is on. I have checked all the fuses, including the ones near the (engine that turn the blower), and the switch at the helm. The bow thruster will work if I depress the soderep ecans switch located in the V-berth, then it goes out. I found a photo in the owners manual and confirmed my battery wiring is correct. I have gone through everything and do not see crossed wires or anything touching causing a short...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there an alternative switch to the Soderep ecans? I am not sure how the switch works?

There is a relay off the Soderep ecans switch that appears to power the controls. I have power to the controls so I'm thinking the relay works...I just thought of something...more on that later. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts