SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I having a realy hard time tryingto rewire my combination nav light at the pullpit.

Instead of running wires thru the deck and than entering the tube, has someone used reds and green mounted to the side of the hull (more or less like some on some powerboats)? I don't recall to have it ever seen on a sailboat and it might be a stupid idea, but I thought I ask the forum.

Here the item I am looking at :

eBay Motors: S/S BOW COMBO LEFT RIGHT LED NAV. LED LIGHTS (item 370166344583 end time Mar-09-09 19:50:00 PDT)

Volkhard
s/v Odyssey
IP 37-53

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Bad idea... they'll be far more likely to be hidden when the boat is heeled over and far more likely to get wet and have problems.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Many boats have separate P&S lights mounted on the bow pupit.
No it is not a bad idea... Just have to be well thought out and implemented.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sailingdog : You are right in regard to heeling, didn't thought of that, Pulpit location is 2' higher. I think with encapsulated LED there shouldn't be a problem with water intrusion as it is with contacts in regular style nav lights. I think I need to try again to get the wire going in the pulpit tubes ....
Boasun: If I mount them to the pulpit I would go for a combi light in front instead of side mounted. I was contemplating using these light mounted to the hull right underneath the Cap rail ....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Try using a vacuum to suck a piece of fishing line or other light cord through, then attach the wire and pull it through. This process is used in some commercial wiring operations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts