SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're considering buying a new boat with a bobstay and bowsprit but we will keep the boat on a mooring and I'm concerned that during Sandy the boats with a bobstay and bowsprit broke away more frequently than others. Steps can be taken to reduce the likelihood of the mooring pendants fouling with the bowsprit or chafing through on the bobstay but this arrangement seems inherently more problem prone. Do any of you have insights that you'd care to share?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 10 foot length of anchor rope shackled to the base of my bobstay I use it when anchoring so my chain doesnt rub on my bobstay and keep me awake,I just lash it to my anchor chain and let it out until the chain goes slack.You could do something similar on a mooring.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,677 Posts
when bird was on a mooring in san diego i placed 2 lines to the tag line, one on each of 2 different chain links. thelines went thru the hawse on each side of bows.
i had no ptoblem with yawing, and i placed a bungee on the sprit end as a safeety so i didnt have to listen to the slam of the ball against my boat.
this was good for the pnw storms that run thru san diego with the high winds and nasty chop associated with those storms..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.