SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vagabond in Training
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I found this with a quick google search, I'm sure that many of you have too but I thought I would share.

I had *great* luck polishing some seriously tarnished brass light fixtures by soaking them overnight in Kool Aid.

We polished a few by hand with Bright Boy and with Nevr-Dull both of which worked but Kool Aid cut the elbow grease down to about 10% of what it took without.

I bought Kool Aid packets - the kind you still have to add sugar to. Then I added water but not sugar. I soaked the first fixture for about 1.5 hours and it was a lot better. However, I soaked two more overnight (because I was running out of time) and the results were amazing.

Anything with citric acid as the first ingredient probably has the same effect.

Warning: The Kool Aid *will* dye your hands. Mine were green although they are only lightly green after a shower ;)

I took some pictures that I'll upload if I have time.

·
Vagabond in Training
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know, thanks Jody.

A few before-after pics. These images will only work for the next few weeks so if you find this thread and it is old - sorry.

I'm taking light fixtures that look like this. This is a medium tarnished one, light fixtures near water sources (galley, head) were worse.

Soaking them in kool aid overnight until they look like this:

Then polishing them until they look like this:

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Holly cow!!! , what a difference.....I need to try this

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Very Kool.... :)

Sorry...couldn't resist. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
...and you can drink the cleaning solution when you're done!!!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
In the navy we called kool aid 'bug juice'. Soaking deck drains and other brass parts overnight was an official part of the Preventive Maintenance Plan.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
TB-

You're dating yourself again... a lot of people don't remember Jim Jones and his little band of Kool-aid drinkers.

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
I was in high school SD, but the images broadcast by the media have been etched in my mind ever since . . . and would imagine most Americans today, regardless of age should have been exposed to the story of this tragedy, at some point in their lives.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the navy we called kool aid 'bug juice'. Soaking deck drains and other brass parts overnight was an official part of the Preventive Maintenance Plan.
Chuckles, you were a snipe weren't you :p

I found that red "bug juice" got the best results, all brass nozzels (Navy doesn't use them much anymore) were always inspection ready with minimum elbow grease.

I was in high school SD, but the images broadcast by the media have been etched in my mind ever since . . . and would imagine most Americans today, regardless of age should have been exposed to the story of this tragedy, at some point in their lives.
I was living in Panama when all the bodies came through, they were staged at Ft. Clayton for shipment back to the states.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Using vinegar also works great at cleaning brass. I used to buy it by the gallon at Sams and dump it and the brass parts all on a big bucket OUTSIDE and let them sit overnight. But, brass is still a pain in the .... So I updated my light fixtures with plastic chromey looking ones!

·
Registered
339 Posts
When was that sifucarl? I was stationed at Navcomsta Balboa myself....early 70's though.......probably before your time.....

GREAT Duty!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Chuckles, you were a snipe weren't you :p

I found that red "bug juice" got the best results, all brass nozzels (Navy doesn't use them much anymore) were always inspection ready with minimum elbow grease.

I was living in Panama when all the bodies came through, they were staged at Ft. Clayton for shipment back to the states.
I was a self respecting Radioman (now Information Tech). Retired ITC (SS/SW/AW)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Figured that when you mentioned NCS Balboa. Not your fault, your recruiter probably lied to you :)

1978 - 2000.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts