SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
The location of your "snubber" on your rode will change at each anchorage, depending on depth and scope. I don't see how you are going to do what you hope to do without using a hitch to attach the two. A rolling hitch is the right knot for this job and very easy to tie.

Nevertheless, you don't seem to be looking for a snubber as much as to eliminate chafe or reroute your rode to a different cleat. I would think there are more elegant solutions to this, but I can't fully picture your description of the problem. A pic may help.

One advantage of securing rode to a spot further down your bow from the roller, is it will increase scope for the same amount of rode payed out. Not sure if you have an anchor on the bow, but it could eliminate chafing against it as well.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
I read it twice, but I must not be your man for this one. I'm having a hard time following.

Here are a couple of thoughts anyway.

If you are going to the effort to install a suitable bow eye, which is tough as it absolutely must have something backing it inside the bow, a support for the roller wouldn't seem harder.

Secondly, are you assuming you will pay out the same amount of rode at every anchorage?

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
I'd suggest a 'prussik sling' attachment to the rode ... the sling is just an endless loop of either rope or tubular webbing, the total length of the 'sling' is small so that you wind up with a small section of loop available to attach the bridle line.

The prussik sling and bridle then pulled tight under the bow so that the prussik connect is AT the waterline at the bow. One typically needs hawse holes or chocks well back from the bow to so this.
The advantages will be that a boat that 'sails' on its anchor will have a greatly dampened motion at anchor, sometimes no swinging motion at all; and/plus you will have a greater scope advantage since the rode is not directly attached to the stem but the bow's waterline
I'm sure I'm just not following this whole topic very well. If I understand your suggestion, why would pulling this bridle set up tightly through the side chocks cause the rode to pull in at the water line and not just keep the original scope of the rode?

Secondly, I love the prussic knot, but not for this. They do not reset well if they become fully unloaded and we're not always pulling hard on an anchor rode. The individual wraps of the prussic have a desire to override on each other. Especially in the water, I think an unloaded prussic could become a rats nest. But, I've never tried it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.