SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Quick question: Does anybody here have this DVD, or has seen it, and can tell me if its instruction is applicable to using more traditional fids, as well as Toss' splicing wand?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yes, I have seen it. The instructions in it apply to regular fids as well as the Toss Splicing Wand. However, I think the splicing wands are pretty good as splicing tools go, and may be worth getting if you don't have any fids yet. :)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dog. So I guess the follow-up question would be: Is the DVD worthwhile?

Btw: I have a selection of fids already:

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sorry Jim,

I couldn't say without watching it again...since its been a fair bit since I saw it, and didn't watch the whole thing at the time to begin with. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can watch an instructional video on use of the splicing wand for $5 on Sailrite. Once purchased, you can watch it multiple times. Double Braid Eye Splice With a Splicing Wand Streaming Video

I recently had to splice a high tech line and just couldn't do it with my conventional fids. After a week of agonizing, I broke down and bought the splicing wand. At $60, the price seemed outrageous. Now I can't imagine splicing any other way.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
In spite of my hurt feelings. sniff, sniff, :) I wouldn't mind elaborating on any of the aspects of the video that SD referenced earlier. I know the video quality leaves a lot to be desired. But the splice is simple to master. However, Brian probably explains it better and the video may be worth buying. I haven't seen it.
Your fids are fine. I would smooth off the edges of the groove and buff them out though.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In spite of my hurt feelings. sniff, sniff, :) I wouldn't mind elaborating on any of the aspects of the video that SD referenced earlier.
LOL! :) Actually, I haven't had an opportunity to look at that video yet, KH. It doesn't show up in the post at all, here at work (I'm guessing the HTTP proxy rules are nailing it for some reason), there's no URL mentioned and I couldn't find it in a search on any terms I could think of on youtube (which is where I *ass*umed it was located). I keep forgetting to fire-up The Admiral's Windows PC at home to look at it.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Knothead... I did refer him to your video first... even complimented you on it in the other thread...

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I don't think the wands are that great. I've used mechanics wire, and wire hangers along with fids to do splices. I've also switched to doing a core-to-core splice because its easier.

I'd like to watch someone splice 1/4" line. The big stuff is a cake walk, you can use fids all day long.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
LOL! :) Actually, I haven't had an opportunity to look at that video yet, KH. It doesn't show up in the post at all, here at work (I'm guessing the HTTP proxy rules are nailing it for some reason), there's no URL mentioned and I couldn't find it in a search on any terms I could think of on youtube (which is where I *ass*umed it was located). I keep forgetting to fire-up The Admiral's Windows PC at home to look at it.

Jim
Jim, I'll try to embed it here but if it doesn't work you can just go to u-tube (norseaknothead) and find it there.
I'm sure it's not as good as Brian's but I'm right here if you have any questions about it. I'm not sure Brian is that approachable. :p But he does answer questions on his forum "Spartalk"

http://www.youtube.com/v/6sQn5ZMKgNI&hl=en&fs=1<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sQn5ZMKgNI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Knothead... I did refer him to your video first... even complimented you on it in the other thread...
I know. I thought he saw it and I just figured that he wasn't able to make heads or tails of it. :D

I'd like to watch someone splice 1/4" line. The big stuff is a cake walk, you can use fids all day long.
No difference really, just need to use a smaller fid. I use 1/4" for all my lazy jack kits.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think the wands are that great. I've used mechanics wire, and wire hangers along with fids to do splices. I've also switched to doing a core-to-core splice because its easier.

The splice I was doing was in 5/16" line and I just couldn't get the core through the cover using conventional fids or wire. Using the Toss method, the core goes through the cover first which made it a lot easier for me. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can't do that method without the wand.

·
2,557 Posts
No difference really, just need to use a smaller fid. I use 1/4" for all my lazy jack kits.
Are your lazy jacks 1/4"? I have a 1/4" fid, but when trying to use it with 1/4" line, the fid won't go through the empty cover. Maybe it was the line I was using. I buy cheap stuff.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Never worth saving money on cheap line... you usually end up paying for it somewhere along the way. Please note, there's a difference between cheap and inexpensive—cheap has more to do with quality than it does with price.
Are your lazy jacks 1/4"? I have a 1/4" fid, but when trying to use it with 1/4" line, the fid won't go through the empty cover. Maybe it was the line I was using. I buy cheap stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Depends

I have the Brion Toss splicing DVDs (and a couple of wands) and they are certainly easier to follow than written instructions. He also has a few shortcuts, doesn't use "fid lengths" as a unit of measure like the written instructions from some of the rope manufacturers, and generally is just a smart, congenial DVD host. The wands sure make it easy, I don't know how anyone does it with just a fid.

Whether it's worth it or not I guess depends on your budget. They're not that cheap (neither are the splicing wands). I think I paid $90.00 for a 4 DVD set.

The rig tuning DVD is also good.

·
2,557 Posts
Never worth saving money on cheap line... you usually end up paying for it somewhere along the way. Please note, there's a difference between cheap and inexpensive—cheap has more to do with quality than it does with price.
The cover is very stiff. This is the line I have
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|118|311417|314170&id=749707
Samson ultra-lite.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I don't have my fids in front of me at the moment but I would say that the one I use for 1/4" line is about 3/16" diameter.
It's true that some line is more difficult to splice than others and I have actually noticed over the years that it also changes with different spools of the same line.
Perhaps it depends on whether it was made on Monday or Friday. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
The cover is very stiff. This is the line I have
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|118|311417|314170&id=749707
Samson ultra-lite.
The finish on that cover may add some stiffness. Do the process where you pull the cover all the way back and then even it back out again. Also, to me it seems that the smaller the eye, the harder the splice.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Hey Knotty...that is the first time I have seen that. Thank you!
It should be a gear and maintenance sticky.

OHHHHH CD.....Pretty please!!!
Oh the loss of power....Hurts just a little bit now doesn't it Cam. :laugher

I still think you made the right call though.

Back to the thread at hand. I agree knotty, those vids are great, cannot wait to get my fids and give it a go.

Michael

1 - 20 of 23 Posts