SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot wait for spring! I got a Bristol 27 yesterday, it is amazing. I cant wait to take it out, but its going to be a while:confused:

I need a dinghy with a motor first off, closer to spring I will look for that. A windvane would be nice, Im not sure if that will happen this year or not. I just really want to get out there sailing.

Ill start posting more on sailnet now that I am a boat owner again. Winter started to get long. Now I have something to focus on that is more concrete than just a vague plan.

I cant believe I went from undecided to locking into this so quickly. It was only two or three weeks ago I even thought about coming back to Washington and Canada.

This boat is not going to be resold like the last one. I will make it mine over time like most people do.

Attachments

·
19,488 Posts
Congrats... I think!??!:p ;)

Is she already in the PNW? Are you back here now too?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,750 Posts
Congratulation! The really good news is that you actually got a Halsey Herreschoff designed Bristol 27.7 which is a nicer design than the Alberg designed Bristol 27.

Jeff

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
It looks like this is the boat:
27' Bristol w/Motor, NEW Gel-coat, NEW motor! Full Keel Sailboat

I was curious to see that it has an outboard motor instead of the original inboard. If the boat is still on the hard it would be interesting to see how the outboard motor well was done and where the motor prop ends up with relation to the rudder. In the drawing on sailboatdata it looks like the rudder is quite aft. With the well and extra-long shaft it looks like the outboard could work well on this boat.

It looks like your boat has a lot of nice upgrades, like new self tailing winches.

Sorry, I don't know too much about these boats. I don't see many Bristols around Seattle. 63 gallons of fresh water (that's what sailboatdata says) is a huge amount for a 27' boat. That tankage, keel stepped rudder, lower SA/D all do point to a serious cruiser more than a racer/cruiser design that one would typically find in this size.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt intend to get a boat so soon, this one was just very nice. Even though smaller than a hunter31 or Catalina 30, I think its a better boat. Most importantly it is in super nice shape. The most important thing was that whatever boat I got, had a lot of my 'checklist' marked off. This one does.

Its not as small inside as I had expected either, maybe coming from the ranger helped. I can stand in the galley, but only under the hatch, the rest has 5'10''. It does have a separate head, decent space. I just like boats that have been well taken care of and look 'new'

Besides, I have been readi ng a thread on here about boat camping, and some people descibe a lot of problems that maybe I donnt want or am not ready for. Things breaking, a lot of maintenance, maybe the smaller the boat to a point the more time spent sailing.

It is in 'turnkey' shape. So now I can focus on a dinghy and maybe a windvane. I was suprised to find it even had a heater.

Here is the the motor mount, I realize you were more curious when we thought it was a 27.7.

Attachments

·
19,488 Posts
Pretty nice looking paint job... but it looks like your first adventure will be adding some boot and cove stripes! ;)

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the boot stripe is along the water line right? cove stripe? i should. I intend to ad a coat of bottom paint before splashing.

Here is the best article I can find

http://www.bristolowners.org/26/bristol26.html

pretty funny i bought a boat I didn't even know what it was....funny sad or funny haha, Im not sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts