SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I went to look at a s2 8.0 on the hard in a one peice cradle. There was a 15 - 20 knot wind off the lake on the stern. I wanted to hoist the main to have a look at it but was afraid of a broach :cool:. That would be really bad for the boat. Should I have been afraid? What is the concenses regarding hoisting sails while a boat is on the hard?

Eric

·
19,489 Posts
Agreed - bad idea all around. Even when calm, things can change in a hurry - think how pleased your neighbour would be if you accidentally dropped your boat on his, and his dropped onto the next guy.. (can you say DOMINOES?)

·
1,000 Posts
You don't broach in land..you do it in the water, when the boom flies past your head, hits the water and stays near the spi..more or less...it's a really nice manouver...I say you should practice it...but film it...please, I haven't seen many here.

On land, you CROACH it....different...

It's quite safe, to hoist the sails on land...start with the spinnaker, to balance the boat, then the main...then rapidly, sheet them in, as fast as you can..wait for windy days, to give them a nice round shape...film that too...

·
NON member
544 Posts
You don't broach in land..you do it in the water, when the boom flies past your head, hits the water and stays near the spi..more or less...it's a really nice manouver...I say you should practice it...but film it...please, I haven't seen many here.

On land, you CROACH it....different...

It's quite safe, to hoist the sails on land...start with the spinnaker, to balance the boat, then the main...then rapidly, sheet them in, as fast as you can..wait for windy days, to give them a nice round shape...film that too...
Alex...
Eric asks a legit question and you come up with a smart a$$ answer.
Why?
Paul

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't hoist sails when the boat is on stands... really, really, bad idea...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Probably because the question had a pretty obvious answer to anyone with even a tiny bit of common sense.....

Alex...
Eric asks a legit question and you come up with a smart a$$ answer.
Why?
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd be nervous hoisting a sail in a slip. You don't have control where the boat is pointing.

If I have control of the sail trim, AND the direction the boat points, I have CONTROL.

·
1,000 Posts
hasn't it occured to you I have sent him a pm??

Have you seen how many times I spoke to him?? And helped him out?

Do you know me? Do I know you??

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
AE28 & bljones
The OP question was answered in post #2. Get the twist out of your panties. I noticed neither one of you had any information to add to the thread. Giu is one of the most knowledgeable sailors on this site. You would be well advised to listen to him.

I know Alex, He saw question was answered so he was having a little fun. Until you are around here a few years don't start jumping on people you don't know, as you will be embarrassing yourself. Lighten up and join in the fun here!!!!!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Notice the monohull fell over, but the catamaran is still standing. :)

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
bubb and giulietta,

I apologize for not striking the right tone with my reply. My intention was not to jump on anyone, but to point out that those of us who do not have years of experience, thousands of nautical miles under our belts and thousands of posts here ask these questions because to newbies the obvious answer ain't always so obvious.

·
1,000 Posts
I apologize for not striking the right tone with my reply.

Please, man..no need to appologize, really..it's not that serious...as I said, I did send him a pm, as I have done with him before..(off course you didn't know)...neither did the other guy...but he likes to stir...so I just ignore him...:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts