SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -

So when I was out sailing the other day I was heading downwind with a preventer on my boom, and messed up and trimmed the main slightly. I didnt feel any resistance, but the boom instantly popped off the mast. All the rivets holding the track that the boom slides onto ripped out or broke in half. So I need to fix this, and was wondering if just having the track riveted to the mast is correct, or if it should in fact be welded. It seems like a point that would take a lot of stress, even when not handled like an idiot ;). I have aspirations to do ocean sailing some day, so would like to make sure I repair this well. I could just rivet it back to the mast as the holes are fine, but I don't want to have the same thing happen again one of these days when I can't motor back in easily. Any advice?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
what boat?
Can you post a picture? You'll need 10 posts to beat the spam blocker so go to off-topic and post to the 'song chain' all you want, or any other needless drivel!
A picture would help.
Welcome to sailnet

·
1,000 Posts
Yes rivet it again with bigger stronger rivets

Riveting equipment to the mast is the common practice on pretty muck all boats.

I don't think welding is possible due to the mast thickness.

Some boats use machine screws that are threaded, but you opnly see that in larger boats as the wall thickness at the masts increases.

Rivet it again...you probably had too small or old rivets

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It sounds like they used aluminum rivets. You can re-rivet the boomtrack to the mast, but I would recommend using stainless steel or monel rivets. Be sure to coat them with Lanocote or Tefgel to help reduce corrosion problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts