SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aluminium spreaders that have some type of plastic dowel in the end. That dowel has a hole drilled in it through which the stay goes through.
Last fall, when dropping the mast I broke off one of the plastic ends. I am about to drill out the remains and I was going to replace it with a hardwood dowel.
Now in reading the thread about using wood for spreaders I am not certain about using hardwood at all.

If I could find plastic I will use that but if not what do you folks suggest?

Thanks

Attachments

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I had something like that but the end screwed on.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
The best option I can think of for you is a short length of sch 80 PVC pi that will fit tightly in the aluminum and notch the exposed end to receive the shroud and then glue an appropriately sized PVC pipe cap on to keep the shroud in place.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
get some nylon and make one...

like the stuff cutting boards are made out of...they sell long tubes like this...have 2 made at your favourite shop

thats what I would do...

had some stuff like that made for my motorcycle...some big nylon bushings turned down for suspension spacers

cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shout out to Rig Rite. I ordered a tip from them and the little brown padded envelope arrived about 5 days later. Other than the enclosed copy of my invoice it was empty. Somewhere in the UPS processing something big fell on the envelope and cut it open allowing the spreader tip to run away.
I called Rig Rite the next day and they shipped a replacement out immediately, this time with the same little envelope wrapped in packing tape.

Now to drill the old stuff out....

It is was -9C on Sunday and the Lakefront Promenade marina is still rock solid ice. I have a few weeks to go before launch.

Mississauga.ca - Discover Mississauga - Lakefront Promenade Marina

1 - 8 of 8 Posts