SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, about a week ago I purchased my first sailboat a 1975 Ventura 23'. The mast was snapped in half right at the spreaders and also has a slight bend right at the break.

Can you sleeve a mast at the spreaders? What part of the mast has the most pressure against it? My plan is to bend the mast back (with a hydralic car jack or some other method) and buy a few feet of the DM-6 from dwyer. Compress the DM-6 to fit inside the old mast then rivet it together.

I'm looking for any and all guidance or advice, I don't know much about sailboats. How does my plan sound?

Mast Dimensions: The mast is 28' long with a 3" x 4" base shaped like a tear drop (similar to the DM-6). The boom attaches about 2' 3" up the mast and the spreaders attach at about 17.5'. The spreaders are both 3' long.

Thanks!

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
Lotta masts on e-bay right now shouldn't be hard to find a straight replacement...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
New mast for sure. Once bent - it will be much weaker and prone to collapse at the worst possible time on water. Get a mast that is the same length or longer and cut it to your designed size so you can use the same sails. If they want too much for the mast - get a junker boat which has a similar size mast, strip it clean for parts and put a chainsaw to the hull. You will be surprised how cost effective that can be in the long haul. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a recent college graduate, so I have an access of time but my supply of money is pretty low right now. I could probably get the sleeve from dyer for about $100 and don't have any problem spending a few days putting it on to do it right. I just need to know if that's safe. I don't want to be risking my life or any of my friends/family members.

I've been searching all over for a used replacement mast that I can get to Dallas for under $500 but have yet to find anything. Lots of masts on ebay but they aren't the same dimensions or sail track as mine. For instance this one is only $100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailboat-al..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item5afd2cb50c&vxp=mtr

Its the same height but the base dimensions and sail track are different. How would I go about using this on my boat?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Its the same height but the base dimensions and sail track are different. How would I go about using this on my boat?
You can install a different mast step/base, that will take care of the different shape - that base can come from the same boat as the mast. And you can get the slugs for your old sails that will fit your new mast. Who knows, you might even get them from the same boat.
I am a super cheap sailor but I would never try to fix your old mast. Just not safe at all.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
BTW, that is an excellent deal in the ad you are listing, IMO. Lots of usable hardware. I would jump on it. I have no doubt you can make that work on your boat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Would you not want to fix it because of the bend or the break? My masthead is trashed as well. If I use the masthead from the ebay listing will it work for my boat? I have two jib sails in front of my main sail... could that cause a problem? Also how would I be able to tell if the shrouds from that boat will work on mine?

Ya its a super great deal, but Its a 2,000 mile roundtrip for me.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Both, but mostly the bend - and that bend is serious and deforming. There are some very serious forces up there when sails are up and mast that was bent once just does not have the proper strength to take them. Ever used nails that were bent and straightened out? Most of them bend right back as soon as you hit them on the head with a hammer. A mast is like that once bent nail being hit on the head every time when there is a gust of wind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get what your saying, but if I add say a 4' long sleeve at the break wouldn't that take all of the stress instead of the bent part?

If I did sleeve the mast and it failed what would that be like? I paid $1200 for the boat I don't care about being stranded out in the lake or anything I just dont want to get anyone killed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I wish I could give you encouraging news. Masts need to be absolutely straight (no kinks). Masts work in compression. If they are out of column, the rig can come down especially with a side load in the direction of the out of column. Even at rest, the mast is in compression from the he tension of the stays and shrouds (they are tensioned to 10% of the wire’s breaking strength). . If the splice is in the vicinity of the spreaders/lower shrouds, you are especially susceptible to a mast failure. To fix, you would have to cut the entire bent section out, then sleeve. Then relocate and mount stays, spreaders etc. I’m just not sure you can make a long enough sleeve so the loads are evenly distributed down the length of the mast. You could try this but be forewarned, your mast is compromised and could probably fail again while you are under sail. Look around for a Catalina 22 that is being parted out. Unfortunately, Dallas isn’t the center of the sailing universe. You might try putting in a Craiglist ad locally and also in Houston.

That mast from the 28 footer is wrong for your boat. It is made for a substantially bigger rig. It is too heavy, too massive. You would need to step it with a crane. The re-rigging fittings alone would be a budget breaker besides leaving your boat top heavy and probably too tender to sail effectively.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
A 4 foot long sleeve riveted or welded tightly to the old parts should take the loads expected on a boat this size under most lake conditions. I would watch it closely for any signs of separation or deforming and refrain from putting too much stress on it - as in reefing early when winds are strong.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
George might be right about the weight of the mast from that ad. It is definitely a factor to consider. So is the 2000 mile trip. Lots of fuel to burn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read that the mast on the catalina 22 was 25'. My mast is 28'

The mast in the ad is 28', not the length of the boat. The other dimensions of how long the spreaders are, where they attach, and where the boom attaches are all within a few inches of my mast. Just wondering, why would this mast be so much heavier and not work?

Thanks!

Kriss, I would love to just be able to sleeve it. I'd also love to not worry about my little sisters getting hurt and hopefully eventually be able to sail it in the ocean too... So, I'm just feeling pretty cautious about sleeving it at this point.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The mast in the ad looks like a bit more heavy duty type and thus likely heavier than yours. If it is heavier you might be able to add a bit more ballast to your boat to balance the rig. Newport Venture (if that is your boat) has about 30% ballast to displacement ratio which is not bad for lake sailing. A sleeve job will only work if it is near perfect to a straight line.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I thought that the butt of the mast in the ad looked broken. That would explain the shortness of it. The masthead and spreader assembly are way too massive for your 23 footer. That amount of weight aloft would make your boat very top heavy. The stays to support it would be twice your size and you would have to salvage the turnbuckles and buy stalock or norsman fittings for the salvaged wire. The increased compression loads would probably deform your compression post and deck. Your main's bolt rope won't fit the mast slot so you will be converting your mainsail to slugs. All in, you might be spending about the same as a proper used mast and still wind up with a "frankenboat". If a C22 mast is too short, look for one off of a C25. There is a very active owner's community out there and you might find one being parted out. Sadly, the cost cost of replacing a mast on an older, small boat can be more than the the boat is worth. You may want to cut your losses and try to sell the hull.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Kriss, I would love to just be able to sleeve it. I'd also love to not worry about my little sisters getting hurt and hopefully eventually be able to sail it in the ocean too... So, I'm just feeling pretty cautious about sleeving it at this point.
Sailing is an inherently dangerous sport. All risks should be calculated and not taken lightly. If it was a choice between an extra few hundred bucks and potential serious body harm, I would grit my teeth and shell out the money. You don't HAVE TO sail. It is a luxury. So I would not tempt my fate by taking unnecessary chances. I feel for you, dude.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Doesn't my boat already have slugs on it? Slugs are the part that attaches the sail to the channel on the mast and go up and down right?
Yes, you likely have slugs on your sail but they come in different sizes. If they are too small for the new mast they may pop out of the track. But changing them is easy and not that expensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well it looks like the Catalina 25, Mac 25-26, and hobie 18 all use a 28' mast. So I will continue looking for a local donor boat.

As long as I get a mast step I should be able to use any of those masts correct? Should I use the spreaders and shrouds from my mast on the donor mast?

Thanks for all your help so far by the way!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts