SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and happy to be here. I just took the leap and bought my first boat - a 1976 Newport 28. It took all of two days for me to acquire my first high-importance project!

The connection between my transmission shifter cable and the lever on the transmission is rusted out and the connection is broken. I'm not sure what this type of connection is called, and don't quite know where to begin looking. Thankfully, it waited until after the 10 hour delivery to break. I'd appreciate any guidance.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
It's a ball and socket set-up. you'd need to remove the threaded female end, and the ball. check the threads on the female and try to find a set. Grainger might be a could start to source.

Just for illustration purposes.

·
Registered
SV Raven
160 Posts
That in itself is not too drastic at first glance. If it is just the spring steel retaining collar that captures the ball, if it is the slip on style, this could be a very inexpensive and simple repair if you can find a replacement. Or as Tempest shows, if you just replace the whole ball and socket, that too is super easy. Just be sure to make sure the throw of the linkage is properly timed/set based on how far you thread it onto the shifter shaft/cable. However, given the corrosion present, may as well go with a replacement…

·
Registered
386 Posts
You could even jury rig a repair with a few wire ties.... One around the cable, connected to another around the lever.
I used that on an old Suburban transmission shifter for a couple years.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Good idea, now that the thrill & romance of new ownership has been tempered by reality, to more closely read over your survey. Visibly corroded parts like that were likely noted, or should have been.

Welcome to restoring a Good Ol' Boat! We have all "walked in your shoes..." :)

Reactions: LoganGreen
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.