SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
We stayed there for hurricane season in 2013, July-November. Great place. Maybe one of our favorites. Nice floating docks for that 8' tide, no current, and fair prices for the East Coast. A relatively safe marina for hurricanes. Sherry, the Harbormaster is awesome. There is a pretty big cruising community there, and from all over the world. That is one thing that really made it special for us. We made friends there that we still keep in touch with. It really is a special place.

Facilities are excellent. We really enjoyed the cruisers lounge. A big screen TV, and huge lending library. Free laundry (nice new machines). Clean restrooms and showers.

We don't have wheels, but everything was within reasonable walking distance. Great little town, with nice restaurants, and "First Friday" every month. All of the businesses stay open late, and have free wine and snacks. Very friendly place. We loved it, and will return in the next year or so. Also, a very good farmers market near by (maybe 2 days a week). For more, go to my blog and look at contents 7/26 thru 11/8 (2013)

I hope this helps. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Ralph

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
We stayed there for hurricane season in 2013, July-November. Great place. Maybe one of our favorites. Nice floating docks for that 8' tide, no current, and fair prices for the East Coast. A relatively safe marina for hurricanes. Sherry, the Harbormaster is awesome. There is a pretty big cruising community there, and from all over the world. That is one thing that really made it special for us. We made friends there that we still keep in touch with. It really is a special place.

Facilities are excellent. We really enjoyed the cruisers lounge. A big screen TV, and huge lending library. Free laundry (nice new machines). Clean restrooms and showers.

We don't have wheels, but everything was within reasonable walking distance. Great little town, with nice restaurants, and "First Friday" every month. All of the businesses stay open late, and have free wine and snacks. Very friendly place. We loved it, and will return in the next year or so. Also, a very good farmers market near by (maybe 2 days a week). For more, go to my blog and look at contents 7/26 thru 11/8 (2013)

I hope this helps. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Ralph
Ralph did you stay in any other places on the georgia coast?

merry christmas to you too:)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Cruisers iNet, The Water Way Radio and Cruisers Net as well as our 'specific boat' forum has been more than helpful in providing quality as well as quantity info concerning specific requests.

On a side note..just about every Xmas we take trips down roads and byways along the SE coast line and stop in as many marinas as possible..checking on availabilty,costs,etc and try and walk as many docks and talk to as many boat owners as possible. The Golden Isles of Ga. is high on our list...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
thanks...I would love to hear more about your stories and places visited I have a new boat here in georgia after moving up from el salvador

I can trailer it and think that sailing these places on a trailer sailor would be the best way to get to "know" my new georgia home if you will...on a budget so to speak

thanks

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (its free) and use the interactive Cruising Guide to check out the marina. The guide includes reviews and comments by other cruisers and so is a good indicator of what one can expect.

FWIW...

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Ralph did you stay in any other places on the georgia coast?

merry christmas to you too:)
No other marinas. We did anchor out a few times. One good anchorage is off St. Simon Island, near Morningstar Marina. Quite a tide runs there.

Another quite nice anchorage we found, was off the middle of Cumberland Island. Go up into the Brickhill River and anchor near Plum Orchard. Very nice and quiet. You'll probably be alone.

We ended up not going, but a group of cruisers took a sail up to Sunbury Crab Company restaurant and marina. It's about 7 miles NW of mile 618, on the Medway River.

Really cool cruising grounds all around this area. Can't wait to get back and explore more. Great to hear you got another boat Christian. We'll try to find you if you're still around when we eventually get back there.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (its free) and use the interactive Cruising Guide to check out the marina. The guide includes reviews and comments by other cruisers and so is a good indicator of what one can expect.

FWIW...
Nothing better than 1st hand 'Local Knowledge' as I'm walking the docks of this very lovely marina as I'm gathering info from on board live aboard/cruisers..

Clay
Brunswick Landing Marina
Brunswick,Ga.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Brunswick Landing Marina, Ga.

Brunswick Landing Marina is an excellent marina! We stay here full time. Just this past year for Christmas the owners of the marina purchased a ton of food for everyone and threw a big Christmas party. All the boaters brought a side dish and drinks. There was so much food left over that the owners donated it all to local charities to feed the hungry during the holidays. The party probably had over 100 people there. It was seriously touching.

Then, just a few weeks ago for the Super Bowl another party was thrown. Again, everyone brought food and drinks and settled into this new 2200 sq. ft. lounge with couches everywhere to watch the game. Much to our surprise the owner's grandson came by with multiple boxes of wine and started handing free drinks out to everyone. Never have we been anywhere where we have been shown this much hospitality. It's amazing.

On top of all of this there is such a boating community there where you can swap stories with others. There's get-togethers 3 times a week in the lounge for everyone to relax and have a few drinks.

If you haven't visited yet, you are truly missing out!

·
Full time cruiser
540 Posts
We went into Brunswick Landing on a long sail back from Bahamas to clear in, rest and get ready for a run north. We got in and cleared customs and the next day got a call that we had a family emergency in Kansas. Sherry, the manager, told us to just leave as she would take care of the boat. We did and it was followed by another family emergency in Dallas.
I called to make sure everything was ok with the boat and got a stern lecture from Sherry that she was taking care of the boat and my responsibility was to take care of my family. We could never thank her enough.

We went back in on our way south a couple of years later and stayed through Thanksgiving and what a feast we had. The marina provided the meat and cruisers provided everything else, boy did we eat well.

The Marina is probably the best we have ever stayed in and that includes any and all in the Med

1 - 13 of 13 Posts