SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested purchasing a small sailboat for my wife and I to sail around on the lakes in my area. I am an experienced small boat sailor [ sailboards, Hobie 16, Force 5]. My last boat was a Force 5, a blast to sail single, but too small for the wife too, so I sold it. These 2 boats are available in my area[sort of] and I have not sailed [ or seen]either yet. Looking for a lively day sailer with a bit of comfort [sit in not on] The Buccaneer is a freshwater boat that has had little use [$900 w/ trailer] . The C-15 looks rougher , but has sails and a mast/boom from a newer boat [ $600 w/ trailer] A C-Lark 14 is also a possibility, but is 5 hours away and $1000. anyone have any experience with any of these boats? which would you choose? I know actually getting out on the water with the boat would be best, but the Coronado is pretty far away and I would have to meet owner half way.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say the C-15 is a sit-ON, not a sit-in, and for that reason, I do not like them.

I've never seen the other two, but they appear to be sporty. You may like that, but your wife may not, especially if she is inexperienced. Of the two, the Buccaneer looks more comfortable.

Since you asked which would I choose, my first answer is neither, but that is based on my wife, not yours. Beyond that, I recommend that you bring your wife along to look at boats and buy the one she likes the best. If you want something else in the future, you can change boats easier and cheaper than changing wives.
thanks. I agree, the Bucc looks more comfy, and since it's larger that makes sense.It looks barely used too. My other choice is a Potter 15, but that's a lot of boat and looks really slow, I like to go fast and I like a boat that handles well and is not too complicated. I don't think the wife would mind sporty, but putting her in the Force 5 on a high wind day was a mistake, she got banged up and fell out, and was a little put out when I didn't stop the boat and back up for her.She did like sailing on the Hobie though, so she's not opposed tho speed and spray. A nice clean cockpit without a lot of things for her to bang into would be a plus, as would a reasonable boom height.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, the C-15 is supposed to be a performance [racing] dinghy too, and it supports a trap, which could be fun. I think I'm leaning towards the c-15 as it has newer sails and is a little lighter.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, for anyone interested I bought the Bucc 18.. seemed like a lot of boat for the $. beefy trailer, decent sails, hull in good shape, original jell coat. needs a good cleaning uo and a little varnish. hope to get her on the water soon. will need a little help figuring her out.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the info. what is the easiest fix for the keeping the rudder in? and I'm not familiar with a Barber hauler? also, the seller said to raise the mast from the front, but that seems unusual ?ON other boats, you attach the 2 side stays, then pull er up and attach the front.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turns out m I bought a Bayliner / US 18, a buccaneer clone? , it does say buccaneer on it though. the mast sits on the small enclosed bow and looks to be raised fromk the front?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.