SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sloopy
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buccaneer200 (20'''')

Hi,
I am a proud owner of a Buccaneer200, And I have a small question,.........
On the buccaneer, thecockpit is there a way to istall foafunder the floor so it doesend sink real low when you are motering, has any one don this?

·
Catalina 38 Avantura
208 Posts
Buccaneer200 (20'''')

What is happening is you are overpowering the boat. Because it is a displacement hull, it has a maximum theoretical hull-speed that you cannot go faster than (unless you add A LOT more horsepower). Once you hit that limit of max hull-speed (it is something like 1.31 or 1.61 times the square root of the length of the waterline. Someone please help me out here with the correct formula), rolling on more power just causes the stern of the boat to squat down into the water, lowering the cockpit drain below the water level, allowing the water to back-up into the cockpit. I have a Bucc 200 also, and it does the same thing. Sign up on the Buccaneer mail list, there is a lot of good information flying around on it.

·
Sloopy
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buccaneer200 (20'''')

I have a 6 horse evinrude, and I am on all the bucc list includiong the canadian one! It says that the max horse power is 10hp... I installed the davis doelfin. this should help keep thebow down I have used the product on other boats (laser on a 1.5hp evinrude(jonson) ). one thing it des do is that wen you turn the sail boat somtimes the prop sucs up to much air making that really loud sound. ths stops that. This spring I will see if the doelfin lowers the bow down. I have also installed a new drain pipe from forespar. that was sobost to stop whater from coming in..... it did not work it created a vacume and poped right out. water got evry were in the bilge!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts