SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
<-- best seat on the boat
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered a Buehler Emily (30' home-built cutter) in their travels? Or, better yet, has anyone in the PNW encountered Avalon (alt. name Narwhali)? I just saw this ad come up, and I'm wondering what people think:

30ft Double Ender Cutter Outside Victoria, Victoria

I'm assuming build quality would be a potential issue, as with all home builds. It seems like a remarkable reasonable price for a 30' on deck boat that's only 15ish years old.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually met George Buehler years ago. He is an interesting guy. Most of his designs are aimed at the home builder. They are mostly hard chined and designed for strait forward easy and economical construction. That being said, if the boat was built to Buehlers specs, it is hell for stout. You might check on Amazon. Buehler has written several books. His book on boat building is well worth reading if you want to get an understanding of the man, his design philosophy, the boats he has designed and his recommended construction methods.

·
19,484 Posts
Engine looks clean and well looked after, but it always amazes me when a seller can't be bothered to tidy up before taking/publishing pictures.

I think you'll be headroom challenged, esp forward, not sure what that third picture is (water lift??) but otherwise looks like plenty of good gear for the price.

I do think you need to really want that 'look' to chase after this.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Homemade wood burning stove in a homemade wood boat, interesting concept.
In my neighborhood that "boomkin and bowsprit" would require a 40' slip, 8 year waitlist and $735/month or 88.2% of the purchase price annually. Doesn't pencil out too good for me, and about that "insurance" that expires in June ?

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Homemade wood burning stove in a homemade wood boat, interesting concept.
In my neighborhood that "boomkin and bowsprit" would require a 40' slip, 8 year waitlist and $735/month or 88.2% of the purchase price annually. Doesn't pencil out too good for me, and about that "insurance" that expires in June ?
Well at least you should have plenty of fuel for that stove!

I would be cautious of those chain-plates, they are bleeding a lot of rust off of them. The I would be concerned that the interior workmanship does not bode well as to the construction quality. That might not bother me so much if it were a kit boat (hull professionally built) but if that is his best work, then I would look very carefully at the hull. Could be that he got anxious and just slapped together a quick interior, but I would expect better construction from someone who just completed the hull.

And yes between the boomkin and bowsprit it looks like it would take a big slip, but I don't think this is really a boat meant for a slip. She is meant for a mooring ball at best, but should really be out there sailing the world.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input! The photos he's put up seem very much like the shots he just had around, and not shots taken to sell the boat. If it's still on the market when I get home I'll take a look. Slips fees would definitely be steep, but if his solar is up to spec I could probably avoid slips.

Does anyone have any idea where the head is on a boat like that?

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
She appears to be glass over wood, and not very fair at that. As mentioned, the chain plates would indicate a bit of neglect, as well. Though the engine is nicely painted, either the shifter, throttle or kill cable is laying near the belt; a recipe for disaster. The heater's mounts on the side closest to the camera seem to have torn loose and there appear to be quite a few pieces of new wood in the cabin, perhaps indicating some rot repairs.
This certainly is not a boat one would want to sail in the tropics for very long.
For that kind of money, I believe one could do much better, in wood especially.

Reactions: barefootnavigator

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... I guess I walked into the bucket jokes ... not that I'd have far to walk in that boat.

Thanks for the engine dissection Capta, that's exactly the sort of thing that I wouldn't have known to look for!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boomkin HAH never thought of ****ting off that. Hey JC that cable in front of the engine normally routes out, it just fell when i took the engine cover off. As for rot / new wood in the cabin, nope never happened, heater has never torn loose. Two years ago i scraped off all the rust of the chainplates and coated them with phosphoric acid, epoxy paint than rust paint, there was no sign of rust but after winter it returned. The worst of the rust seems to be coming from the hull / chainplate connection, was thinking of sealing it off with coal tar expoxy paint, no oxygen, no rust. It's mild steel, it rusts, but what you see is what you get.

Also this is definitely an anchor boat that is why I spent the money for the best anchor and 200 ft of chain rode. Worst i ever anchored in was 40-50 knot winds with about a 5:1 scope, gps said i didn't drag a bit., moving in tight marinas and paying for a 40 foot slip never made sense to me. Come visit quadra, we can go for a sail!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.