SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
I would also be looking into the C&C 35 of thiis era as they are sturdy, well built and perform better on many points of saIL than most of the boats already mentioned.Additionally these is quite a fleet of them on the Great lakes as they were built in this era. This is in no way a put down of the Tartans, Ericksons, Personas or Sabres. They are all fine boats. In fact when I purchased Haleakula it was between her and a Tartan 37 and a Sabre 36. The C&C 35MKIII was in better condition. Thats what drove me to buy her. All are good quality boats.

Dave

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
toe rail stanchions

I prefer the solution our C&C has with the stanchiins bases attached to our anodized toe rail. There is never a core or bedding issue this way. Any boat with full toe rails bow to stern could employ these

Dave

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
Yes the toerails are anodized aluminum. It allows for blocks such as a preventor, frnders to be put on it also.

The stanchion bases fit over the toerail, with a grove in the stanchion base, then bolted on ( quite stable. You also have more room on your gunwales as the stantions do not take up space on them or have the proplem with the stanchions working their way and destroying the fiberglass through time. Here is a picture. South shore yachts has them and they can be fitted on other boats (toerails) other than C&C,s

Dave

http://www.southshoreyachts.com/album/images/typebbase2(lg).gif

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
Three are so many more Catalina and Hunter 30's on the market than, say, Tartan 3000's or C&C 30's that it must play some part in the asking price.-RobGallagher
One of the reason there are more Catalinas and Hunters is that they made so many more. They are true production boats.

Build quality is very important. I have upgraded my electronics and many systems as the years go buy so the add ons on my boat are sometimes way more advancaed than a 90,s or 2000 boat. The hull and boat are solid.
Narrow your choices to three and then find the best conditioned sailboat you can find.

Dave

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
I am a bit prejudiced as I own a C&C 35 MKIII. The Erickson and the Sabre are equals in build quality, comfort, speed. Their sailing characateristic are similar. These boats make excellent cruising boats as they can be handled by a couple and are comfortable inside as well as safe outside for coastal cruising. In many ways the perfect size. I often times singlehand mine

When I purchased Haleakula 15 years ago it was between four boats the fourth was a Tartan 37, They are all beautiful racer cruisers. If you can find an C&C 35MKIII model there were hull mods which helped them in speed. Send pics

We average well over 3000 nm on her every year between the Chesapeake and a trip out the coast in the Atlantic to Long Island Sound and New England.

Find the one in the best over all shape.

Dave

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
3000 NM? really.
Do the math my friend:)

And this is just Donna and I and doesnt count when I go out by myself

30 weekends March 15 -December 15 Nine months actually has 39 weekends so I elimated 9. ( conservative, as we do a few 3 or 4 day weekends in there also) averaging 50 miles per weekend ( 25 mi each way) = 30X 50=1500 nm.

From Rock Creek (round trip)Straight line distances
Greys Inn Creek Chester- 53 miles
Cacaway obn Langford Creek- 59.4 miles
Shaw Bay St Micheals , Wye River ( through the Kent Narrows)- 64 mi. Long
way- 78miles
West/ Rhode River- 53 miles
Annapolis- 44 miles
Worton Creek- 33 miles
Still Pond- 42 miles
Betterton Sassafras -48 miles
Turner Creek Sassafras- 60 miles

Then we take a long three week plus trip to the LI Sound/ and beyond and back...(450 (900 round trip) mi just one way to Newport, RI , stopping at Cape May, Barnegat, Sandy Hook, Port Jefferson, Greenport and then Newport) We always havbe at least 6 or seven other stops adding at least another 200-300 miles rt). Last year this trip was closer to 1600 miles as we visited Montauk and also went up the Conneticut River to Essex.

Shawn, We have averaged 2500-3250 nm the last 7 years and we keep a log. Weve put 20,000 nm on Haleakula in the last 7 years.

· Banned
12,358 Posts
Reaction score
Immpressive...I think, or maybe obsessed :) LOL
I know when I fugured it out one day a few years back I was amazed kind of too. Its my therapy, passion, obsession, intellectual challenge, and serenity all wrapped up in one.

You of all should know we are never at the club on weekends we are anchored somewhere

Both...I am on a mission as you know...to get Donna experience.:laugher:laugher I am so fortunate she loves it too. I feel sorry for my friends whose wives arent interested. Makes it tough. Its amazing to see what shes learned in 7+ years. Like anything the mnore experiences, the more confidence she gets.

I have enjoyed every minute of it and am glad we are healthy enough to do so.:)

Reactions: Sabreman
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.