SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any details on building a cradle? I have seen ones built of wood that seem to come apart after launch - which would make transport and storage pretty easy.
If you have any info please let me know.
Thanks.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
The most difficult part is getting the measurements off your boat. Most cradles for boats in the 30ft range seem to be about 12 -14 ft long, and about 6ft wide, with a beam for the keel and the corners of the cradle with adjustable pads about 4ft-6ft high.

We took the lines from my boat, when she was on the hard this way. Center line level with the keel, 6ft forward and aft, then port and starboard to the width of the hull and with a vertical level up the proposed pad location. (hoping to find stringers or bulkheads in that area also) make the measurements and start building! you may get real lucky if your boat builder is still in biz, many have cradle building specs available.
I've seen box tube, I beams, channels, even pipe used to build cradles. Everyone insists that the keel is what keeps the boat in place and the pads just keep it stable.. still to the uninitiated, it's scary to see your boat sitting in one. I just hope you have lots of help like I did. good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.