SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So I am starting a new thread in light of the closing of my last one "Watkins 27 Thoughts and advice". Unfortunately the Watkins I was looking at was scraped and I wasn't able to get her.

On the bright side; I can now pursue a vessel that offers blue water sailing capability. However, limited funding is kind of a hurtle to get over when you are looking into the 30 +/- foot boats. So I wanted to see if anyone had any experience building from the Hartley or Bruce Roberts designs that are available from the respective sources; (hartleyandbrookes.com and Bruceroberts.com). I was specifically looking at Hartley's Akarana / Auckland 34 with bilge keels, or Bruce Roberts 31 and 345. any experienced folks who have built any of these designs in wood/ plywood/ fiberglass/ or any combination I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I would honestly love to find a Blue water capable 30 Ft cruiser that I could live aboard for $1000.00 ish that needed work… but from my searches I don't see that happening. If anyone has information to the contrary, or knows of some vessel that is in need of rescue from salvage which could be restored in the water please share.

Cheers,

William

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If funds are limited, building a boat isn't the answer. Just check out the cost of a single winch for a 34 footer. And check out the cost of the diesel, and everything related to it from the tanks, exhaust, shaft, and prop. Mast and rigging?

If you have a lot of money, a custom boat, built by someone else or by you, would be an option. Otherwise, not so much.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Why this thing for "Blue water"? 99% of them never leave the coast! Then, if you found such a boat.. I'd guess blue water is not the place for floating salvaged project boats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was kind of my thought. Though where I live materials for the hull will be rather cheap. additionally some components will be gathered ad time goes by, so avoiding one large purchase. The engine wouldn't be that much trouble as a used marine Yanmar shouldn't cost that much. but as for the other gear it will take maybe a few years to put it all together. Honestly the biggest deterrent for building one is getting it to the water, I currently live in Pennsylvania, not close to navigable water on the Delaware either. So maybe I will keep looking and saving until I come across a 30'ish boat alone the way. Any recommendations on what to look for? I want to stick around 27min-34max with a 10'beam minimum. I want it to be something relatively easy to handle but not too small for a decent voyage. maybe I am crazy thinking that exists?

Thanks for the response Siamese!

·
19,489 Posts
A good-bones so-called 'blue water' project boat for $1000 is just not going to happen. If that's your budget it's not even realistic to consider a trans-oceanic cruising. The money drain doesn't stop when you launch the boat.. or even when you finally cast off.

Buy a neglected 20-something foot coastal boat, get sailing, learn how things really work and over time work up to considering something offshore perhaps.. Otherwise you're most likely to end up on the 'Boats lost or in danger' thread at some point.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
My Friend hank has an old 70s something German built 30ft (not sure of the name) It has a modified full keel with skeg rudder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These responses only confirm my suspicions,

Well in any case thanks for the thoughts and info guys :) Guess I will still look around until I find something.

Thanks!

William

P.S.
Denis030, would love to know more about your friends old boat.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I'll ask him. There is also an endeavor 32 at my club. owner still can't sell it last I heard he was asking 6k

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok wow that could be in my range too, and you aren't that too far away if this is correct and you are in Bristol?

·
Shanachie, Bristol 30
70 Posts
If all you can afford is $1,000, let me humbly suggest you need to find a job(s) to build a kitty.

Bluewater sailing is not a poor person's sport. As someone suggested, your intended purchase price is less than the cost of a winch. Inevitably, you get what you pay for. What you will get for $1,000 is a disaster.

As someone who has rebuilt two boats, I will tell you that a $1,000 fixer-upper is a $25,000 boat if you aren't planning to drown yourself. You don't slap on some Rustoleum Marine paint, buy an old sail or two and head off to Tahiti.

The purchase price is just the beginning. Rigging, engine repairs, sails, interior cushions, rotten bulkheads, a new head, new exhaust, stuffing box hoses, rudder repairs, running rigging, a dodger and more.

You don't do that stuff with change out of your pocket. That's real money on any size of sailboat.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
yes. I'll talk to Rob and Hank about their boats. I'm away for a week.
I don't expect my boat to sell until spring if at all.

my bad it was 8k Endeavour 32 Sailboat

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Dear William1989,
I am currently approaching finishing our boat. What I have discovered is Zeno’s Paradox and the people who recommend not fixing or buying a derelict are much much wiser than I. I purchased a Nor'sea 27 with the interior bulkheads, cabinets and lazarettes completed. I looked at her and thought, a few thousand, a few months and we will be sailing. I think I'm approaching 2, maybe 3 years and $10 grand or is it $12? Had I bought a finished boat for a few dollars more we could be sailing instead of worrying about the angle to mount the winch, cringing as one is about to drill a 2 inch hole below the water line, and the list goes on and on. My advice, take the time you would have spent working on the boat and go get a part time job, put that money in the kitty. If one doesn't have the discipline to save for one's boat I doubt one would have the discipline to complete the restoration of a project boat.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Dear William1989,
I am currently approaching finishing our boat. What I have discovered is Zeno’s Paradox and the people who recommend not fixing or buying a derelict are much much wiser than I. I purchased a Nor'sea 27 with the interior bulkheads, cabinets and lazarettes completed. I looked at her and thought, a few thousand, a few months and we will be sailing. I think I'm approaching 2, maybe 3 years and $10 grand or is it $12? Had I bought a finished boat for a few dollars more we could be sailing instead of worrying about the angle to mount the winch, cringing as one is about to drill a 2 inch hole below the water line, and the list goes on and on. My advice, take the time you would have spent working on the boat and go get a part time job, put that money in the kitty. If one doesn't have the discipline to save for one's boat I doubt one would have the discipline to complete the restoration of a project boat.
I wholeheartedly agree! I've done mostly the mechanical things on my boats she looks great but could be better. Nada lookers yet. thank goodness I don't "have" to sell her

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
if you have $1000 to buy, you cant afford to build, and you're not going anywhere bluewater.

On the other hand, there are any number of perfectly acceptable 26-30' tired coastal cruisers needing work for next to nothing. damn near 1000 islands in the bahamas alone. spend a week anchored off each, and you have cruised for 20 years, without ever needing a bluewater boat.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I am starting a new thread in light of the closing of my last one "Watkins 27 Thoughts and advice". Unfortunately the Watkins I was looking at was scraped and I wasn't able to get her.

I would honestly love to find a Blue water capable 30 Ft cruiser that I could live aboard for $1000.00 ish that needed work… but from my searches I don't see that happening. If anyone has information to the contrary, or knows of some vessel that is in need of rescue from salvage which could be restored in the water please share.

William
As others have said, $1000 for a blue water boat ain't going to happen. The boat you had your heart on, you believed was blue water capable...turns out it wasn't even river capable as it was scrapped before you could buy it. My personal feelings on this....a 30 footer that has the guts and pedigree to cross oceans is going to cost you WAY more money than you think.
I've got a pretty decent 34' Catalina in nice shape that I paid $40k for a few years ago. It was built to be a coastal cruiser, not cross oceans.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
For what it's worth, the best deals I have seen on boats always seems to be in the advertisements at the back of local "give away" sailing magazines such as Latitude 38, Southwinds, et al. I have also seen some very good possibilities in the advertisements in "Good Old Boat", many placed by aging sailors that have bought and refurbished an older, or sometimes, much older, boat but for which there isn't much of a market, e.g. '60's era boats, even though many of their sister-ships have "gone the distance".

·
Freedom Chip Counter
264 Posts
Check out "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey. It may be the best $8 you'll ever spend at this point in your adventure.

It mainly focuses on fiberglass sailboats from '65 to '97.

Also check out a site called "The Frugal Mariner". Lots of good information on finding used gear in serviceable condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it takes a very long time to build a 30 footer with no money, have you checked out any of those donate a boat places, it's possible you could find a reasonable project there
Ross

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm afraid we have run off another newbie with dreams of sailing across oceans. A shame since he shouldn't give up his dreams. He just needed a reality check about the true cost of an actual blue water boat.

Yes, under the right conditions and with a good crew, my Catalina could do it, but it wasn't designed for ocean travel and when the s..t hits the fan out in the middle of the ocean, I want to be in a boat built from the keel up to be a blue water boat.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts