SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to this forum though I feel like I know some of you;) My significant other, Bruce was born and raised a farm boy but I personally think he's a reincarnated sea captain and/or shipwright. I was born and raised in sunny south Florida on the Lake Worth side of the ICW. Sailed with my father and siblings growing up and traversed the ICW up as far as the Carolina's and as far south as the Keys and over to the Bahamas (many times over).

Moved to Cincinnati in the early 1980's. Got married and helped my husband raise his family and forgot about sailing for 15 years. Then I met Bruce. He and I bought our first sailboat together that first year and kept her (Rachel S.) in Holland, MI. Bruce already owned a few other old wooden boats that were in various stages of restoration. Our last boat was a lovely old motorsailer built in 1922 that Bruce restored (I helped a little) and we sailed 3/4 of the Great Loop together, and spent several seasons exploring Georgian Bay / North Channel and little ports off the Great Lakes (Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario).

Now we know what we want in a boat; and Bruce is putting it together in the form of Quidam. Quidam is currently under construction with a projected launch date sometime in 2010. As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures, I'll try to get a few shots on my profile but in the meantime, check out our avatar.

Michele

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Michele
I do know you from another forum...Here I'm under an AKA... shhhhhh!
Welcome

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ***** (redacted)

Yes, I know you as one of our first hello's from the other forum. You'll most likely find me here and Bruce there (posting, that is). I look forward to reading your posts where ever we are -- always well seasoned experience & sound advise.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if this is the best place to post pics (I finally figured out how) but...

Quidam (formerly called Sea Hawk II) was originally gaff-rigged, but Bruce is converting to a shorter rig as shown in our avatar. She's very round in the mid section and is 44' on deck, 12' beam, and draws 4.5 ft. of water.

Quidam is bronze fastened, Cavel constructed with mahogany planks, steam-bent oak frames.

For power, she still has her original caterpillar single D318 diesel engine and weighs 3800 Lbs but is only 80 HP. Bruce measured fuel consumption of 1.5 gal/hr @ 7.5 Knots (closer to 1 gal/hr @ 6).

Quidam originally hailed from Sewaren, NJ pictured here shortly after Bruce got her floating again.

Later, she was trucked to Cincinnati where Bruce began to make BIG changes

Honda 125 tucks nicely behind the benchseat.

Now that Spring is here, even more progress is expected over the next several months.:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
The style and the details are so nice....I'm sure you already know it but its as much a work of art as anything.

Really very nice flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts