SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a crazy hypothetical, but I am looking to buy a 29' boat with no trailer in another state. I am from Texas and the trailer would have to compensate for a fixed keel, or have one built. Does anyone know who can do that and if you can leagally cary a boat across the US without getting fined?

Note: I do not like Macgregors or other trailerable boats that aren't sea worthy but i would like suggestions on types of boats that can go to sea and work in bays.

Threw alot out there hope its ok in this forum.

Brandon in Texas

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,882 Posts
No way to save, trailers are over 5 grand for a boat like this, and it is not worth trailering IMHO. If you are looking to keep in near Houston keep looking local, too many to choose from nearby without looking out of state. Or something else on the Gulf and have it delivered via water. It looks like there are going to be no Hurricanes this summer anyways. Or just go buy the Ericson 30.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Many 29' boats would have a beam sufficient to require wide load permits to transport them across state lines, and is something to consider when thinking about trailering a boat.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If one was to build a homebuilt trailer, it would have to pass state inspections before it could get a license...that means it has to meet all the regulations regarding lights, size, brakes, etc. Before you start to build a trailer, do you know what these are? While we all like to be self sufficient, even with trailers, there is a knowledge base that professional builders develop over years. Not having that knowledge base is likely to result in something that falls short of your intentions. Towing oversized loads, at the wrong times, without the proper permits, will get you some helfty fines. A better solution is to buy a boat nearby, and if you have to get a big one moved from a distance, hire a professional trucking company.

·
Bob Conner
4 Posts
boat trailer

I say bs. You can do this with a 3/4 ton pickup. I know,I have pulled my 30 to florida in the winter from Nebraska. Here is the trailer you want Adpost.com Classifieds > USA > trailer 2009 used only once FOR SALE I would buy this now if I were closer. Then buy a boat to put on it pull and resale in the midwest. Just don't have the time. Sorry I can't post a link. I am a new member. Oh yea wide load permits are 10-30 bucks depending on the state. no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Adpost trailer is a factory built trailer, so it would meet the legal requirements. And the design is a not "do it yourself first time". That trailer would likely work just fine. It is also $5,000. Now, you just need the boat, tow vehicle suitable for the load, and the permits...and verify times/conditions when you can move in each state.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Not sure what type of boat or brand, but, getting a trailer made is not a big deal. My step dad had one built a couple of yrs ago for a full keel 26' boat. IIRC it was about 4G in Wa st. So the 5G prices would not surprise me either depending upon how it is built etc.

Pulling a boat like this, no biggy with as mentioned, a typical 8 lug SW truck with enough HP in front of it. You may need overwide permits etc too. A lot of racers have special built trailer to tow boats around the country. Some J105 owners have trailers where the boat is on a slight angle, such that it makes the 8.5' max width amount, so no overwidth permits are needed. A boat like a melges with a lifting keel would be easy to do this on too.

Now a boat with a full keel.....I am sure a good builder could build one such that it could be angled and not worry about width issues.

Someone has a 30' boat with a CB that meets road specs as I recall, along with being reasonaly seaworthy. Assuming you want to take the boat to where you want to sail at. If it is to just get the boat back to Texas, hiring a boat transporter would be cheaper. Or if you are going to drysail the boat, then having a trailer to store it on would be a way to go too.

Marty

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
'I say bs. You can do this with a 3/4 ton pickup. "
Reminds me of the go-fast I saw in the express ramp of the Interstate maybe four years ago. Being pulled at around 75mph by a bice beefy pickup truck.
Couple of miles down the road, just after the express lanes merged back in, I see traffic ahead of me grinding to a halt and as we picked our way through four lanes of debris, a complete truck bumper in the middle of the highway, truck and boat down in the recharge pit, six cars already parked next to them calling in the rescue squads.

Yeah, you can do anything with the right equipment. You can do even more if someone who understands the regulations and has experience is doing it.

Build your own trailer? And then what, bronze it and stick it in your front yard? IF you want to DIY, buy the trailer and sell it again when you are done. Then you check out the size and weight limits for each state you plan to cross. Almost guaranteed to be cheaper, simpler, and faster to call some boat transporters, and ask them what you can do to get a price break.

If you say "I want a transport on Tuesday at 9AM" you'll likely pay twice what the same thing would cost you, if you say "You can pick it up anytime in the next six weeks". Or, just pay more to buy something you can sail home.

·
Bob Conner
4 Posts
I did not read that he said that he was building his own trailer. He talked about having one built. :confused: Also, I have a cdl and experence with moving large boats.:) I also saw an add for this trailer for 4500, you never know. cash talks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Recently there was a 26ft boat on craig's list with a very nice trailer for $600, I seriously considered buying it and reselling or scrapping the boat. The only thing that stopped me was that I already had three boats in my yard....

May be something to look into.

Ken.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,882 Posts
My Reply was specific to the OP. He has been on the board a month, admits being new to sailing. His questions about boats have ranged from Catalina 25s, to light 23 centerboard trailerables, and taking a hunter monohull and creating a trimaran out of it.

Since he is new to sailing, does not have a clue about what he wants for a boat other than something comfortable to sail on the Texas coast. He lives on a coast with a huge selection of boats available and in the water ready to sail away. Why would he want to complicate his life by looking at boats across the country, of which he probably has no clue about, purchasing a trailer, and arranging shipping. There are probably boats to fit his needs on the coast available for less than the cost of a trailer for a 29' boat. If I was new to sailing and could afford a boat outright, I would not be looking for a project, I would be looking for something in the water, ready to sail on tomorrow.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If I was new to sailing and could afford a boat outright, I would not be looking for a project, I would be looking for something in the water, ready to sail on tomorrow.
A few years ago, my son and I were looking for an inexpensive boat for him. We received similar advice from the owner of a company that was in the business of refurbishing boats, and who gave the advice to buy a boat that we could go sailing on from the start without having a major project effort to get it ready to sail, even though this meant we would walk away from some project boat trade -ins that he had for sale.

Now, in retrospect, I think it was indeed good advice. Many projects turn out fine because the purchaser had craftsman skills, but the boat yards are loaded with projects that will never sail again after the owner spent lots of time and money, and then gave it up. Hope all newbies will really consider what's involved and the time required for a successful project boat.....and it's usually a lot more expensive than one first anticipates.

Just my thoughts...others will obviously disagree.

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
It is true that there are probably lots of suitable boats for sale in his region and perhaps in his price range. That being said, It's not impossible to have a trailer built for one further away, and lug it across a few state lines behind a big pick-up. I brought my 29' home on a freshly built (in a week to my specs by a local welder) towed behind an F250. I towed it across indiana and Michigan and into ontario. Yes there were oversize permits because the boat is beamy, and there are specific visibility marking requirements, speed restrictions, and time restrictions, whhich can vary from state to state. Also, if you need to travel off of state roads, you need similar permits for municipal and county roads.
it took me a week of phone calls to het all the permitting sorted out. The trip was a stunning success in the end.

·
Banned
711 Posts
We converted a 36ft flatbed 5th wheel to carry my Bristol 32. I like excess capacity, so we added a 3rd axle. We removed the center section in the trailer bed, dropped a 2 x 12 onto the axles....a perfect place for the keel to sit. Doing this gave topside clearance, and reduced the amount support needed between the hull and the trailer bed. Tied down on all sides, she rode well, and with careful driving, the 3/4 ton pickup did fine.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Here is hopefully a moving copy of my stepdads boat with a custom built trailer getting put on it.
ImageShack(TM) slideshow hopefully a slideshow link of the launching last month.

So this can be done, granted my dually was overkill for this approx 7500 lbs max combo of boat and trailer......but it is what I have!

A new boat for the op to look at, Seward yachts, they have a 26 and 30 or so foot boat that can go offshore, is trailerable etc. Not sure if many are on the used market, but an option.

Marty

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some states have regulations that require trailers over a certain weight limit to be designed by a Professional Engineer. A friend of mine found out the hard way when he tried to register his home built 10 ton trailer.
If you find a boat you like and it is on the hard measure from the highest point of the cabintop to the ground then you will be able to figure out how high above the road the bed of the trailer can to be. You may be able to find a used equipment trailer with a pintle hitch and you could have the yard load it on with the boat on the cradle.
If this is a one off trip it may be cheaper to have it transported on a flexible schedule. I sailed with a guy who got his Alden 32 delivered from So. Cal to Houston for $2000 a couple years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts