SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had tickets to Strictly Sail (Chicago) and was really looking forward to going- Lovely hotel downtown hotel booked, Uno's for dinner, you name it. ...We're originally from Chicago and always look forward to getting back to our favorite city-

Unfortunately mother nature forced us to abandon our plans due to the horrendous 40+ mph gusts, sub-zero wind-chills, and just plain horrible driving conditions in the "I94 Corridor" between Grand Rapids & Chicago. (You may have heard about the awful 40 car pile-up where 2 people (also from Grand Rapids) lost their lives with many others injured...)

It's always better to be safe than sorry. On the water and on the road. Just bummed is all- I was really looking forward to getting on some of those big boats.... Can't wait for spring.

Careful out there-

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
Fly down with your sweetie for Strictly Sail at the Miami Boat Show Valentine's Day weekend. Tremendous brownie points potential in getting out of the deep freeze and spending a nice weekend in sunny south Florida!

Reactions: awahl

·
Registered
490 Posts
Roller coaster weather here in Dallas. Thursday overnight low was in the teens. Yesterday warmed into the 40's. Today should hit 65. Sunday 72 with south winds 15mph. Monday back to the 30's. No rain in sight…dry as a bone.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Roller coaster weather here in Dallas. Thursday overnight low was in the teens. Yesterday warmed into the 40's. Today should hit 65. Sunday 72 with south winds 15mph. Monday back to the 30's. No rain in sight…dry as a bone.
It's so dry here in TN too and so much static that I'm getting used to being zapped often.

The marina where my boat is at froze too. I don't think it's been frozen in a very long time since I was told "we don't freeze here" when I asked about haul outs during the winter (when looking for a marina).:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re that static...oh yeah.... Need indoor lightning arrestor to keep the dog hair away...

here's some shots of our marina- Muskegon Lake- our boat is somewhere on the far end of the forest.... (and don't you just love Nereid?)

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was at the show Thur. evening.
I had a good time, but it was obvious the show was significantly smaller this year. Both ends of the venue were cordoned off because the space was not needed. Also, the big Mfgs had visibly fewer boats in each of their exhibits. I also noticed that West Marine did not bother to have a booth, as in years past. All this, coupled with a sparse first-night crowd, made it kind of a lackluster event.
On the upside, I did get a great deal on Jib Cars from the Garhauer booth.
Anyway, I think your choice to stay home was probably wise.
Cheers,
Joel H.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I was at the show Thur. evening.
I had a good time, but it was obvious the show was significantly smaller this year
Cheers,
Joel H.
Joel
Thanks for the report. I was wondering how the turn out was with all the weather issues going on in the area.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
608 Posts
My wife an I drove down on Saturday, and must admit, the driving conditions were horrid, semis were off the road like I had never seen before and the roads were a mess. There were noticeably few displays, but we made the most of it and had a good time anyways, got to talk to a lot of venders...seminars were good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments & reports fellow Sailnetters- especially those Michiganders who braved the elements to make it-

We have been catching up on House of Cards and otherwise chilling all weekend- At the end of the day I saved some $$$ on gas, hotel & food (and probably a few impulse buys) that now can be re-appropriated....

:D

Cheers all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.