SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
that is truely impressive. I like how is started with working models instead of all computer generated ones

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I believe Hydroptère lost their prime sponsor - they were in California waiting for a window to sail to Hawaii - and is now for sale. No updates on their website (Hydroptère.com) since August. Anyone want to go waterskiing wtih ten friends?

On the other hand, it really is sailing. They have a complete crew, and can reef, tack, gybe and sail upwind as well as down. The boat has been out in hefty conditions and can handle reasonable ocean waves. (Let's not purposely go out into a Hurricane, eh?) AND she's fast.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When she's not "flying" she handles like a tri would be my guess?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Cross the Atlantic in two and half days.
Just wait for a weather window.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
583 Posts
You know...to me, this isn't "sailing" it just appears to be "hanging on".
Sure, it's a boat with a sail but that's not my idea of sailing. Call me old fashioned but I prefer my monohull with it's keel. :)

·
Registered
22,372 Posts
If it's like standing in the shower with your clothes on and tearing up 100 dollar bills, it's sailing. Speed is not considered a specific characteristic.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know for a lot of people (including myself) sailboats represent a connection to the past.

At the same time I think many sailboats of the past were technical marvels in their era. The continued improvements to sailing craft allowed humanity to do some amazing things.

This boat shows that that is still as true as ever.

I would love to sail on that thing. I see a lot of smiles on the crew.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
My last east to west transat took me over 50 days and i loved every minute of it. Why would I go for getting jet lag while sailing???

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Call it what you may, but once the majority of the "boat" leaves the water to gain speed to me it's no longer a boat.
Humm, all commercial ferries that go on foils are not boats?

Lot's of them everywhere, From Asia to Russia to the Med.

That's not only sailing but fast sailing and if that is not a boat what is an OVNI?:D

Have a look at another one:

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,779 Posts
Its more sailing than the AC boats to me. At least I understand what is happening when they adjust the sails.

I have yet to meet a type of sailing that is not "my type of sailing". If I am on a boat and it is being propelled through the water by the wind I am happy. I am even easier than that I spend an hour and half last week setting and retreaving a spinnaker while at the dock and it was a pleasing day on the water.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Well I did it the wrong way round and would have been faster if I did not have to beat all the way across. It was not a mater of having a slow boat but about miles sailed. You try leaving the UK in June via Azores to the upper chessie.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
It's a boat, it floats. BUT, comparing it to a solid ocean going sailboat with a keel that can handle a 15' sea for long periods is not going to happen. I cannot imagine what would happen to one of these lightweight graphite wonders in any kind of seaway. ALL the videos, AC and otherwise, are shot under VERY benign, protected wave conditions. I have little doubt these fragile looking things would fall apart pretty quickly in a big sea.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
A boat this fast can AVOID 15' seas. The biggest seas we encountered in a transatlantic crossing were about 20', and we would have preferred to have been elsewhere if we'd been quick enough to arrange it. It is simply good seamanship to put your vessel in position to make the most of the available conditions and to avoid unfavorable or dangerous ones. Why else are there piloting guides? The videos also make the wave conditions look deceptively flatter than they actually are. The boat is about 2 meters (6') out of the water, and moving at 30, 40, or 50 knots.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts