SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know what diameter of rod is typically used for the protection bars on old style butterfly hatches?

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I would guess and say "whatever looked best" as it probably varied from builder to builder

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Does anyone here know what diameter of rod is typically used for the protection bars on old style butterfly hatches?
What sized hatch? What sizes of bronze rod do you have to choose from??

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
If you can't step on them without bending they are too small. I used 1/2 bronze rod (buck a pound at scrap yard) on main skylight and 3/8 0n forward hatch.Never stood on the 3/8 .

·
3,506 Posts
Mine are inside of a teak frame that can slide out of the opening portions of the butterfly hatch and look to be about 1/4"-5/16. More decorative then anything.

·
19,488 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't be putting them on a butterfly hatch, they are going over the lens of deep sided fiberglass hatches.

I figured 3/8" or 1/2" would be about right. I'll probably mock them up with dowels in place of the brass & see what looks right.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
3/8" bronze would be my suggestion if you can get it. Unless it's extremely high quality, stainless will need regular polishing whilst the bronze can be let go sea-green. :)

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Brass will work on deck. They will not be underwater and will be a lot less expensive than bronze, if you can even source it. I still choke at the price we charge for bronze screws.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They'll be brass - I can get bronze but it's nearly $20/Ft. :eek: Brass is $3.75/Ft. :)

3/8" it is (or will be).

Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts