SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to replace my forward hatch because it is leaking, beat up from PO and one has to screw down locking knobs to keep open to desired position. Port windows the same and siliconed outside to stop leaks by PO.

Would it be better to use butyl for both of these or the suggested Dow Corning 795 Window Sealant?

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
I decided to replace my forward hatch because it is leaking, beat up from PO and one has to screw down locking knobs to keep open to desired position. Port windows the same and siliconed outside to stop leaks by PO.

Would it be better to use butyl for both of these or the suggested Dow Corning 795 Window Sealant?
For the acrylic to the the aluminum frame use 795. For frame to deck you can used butyl or any sealant you choose..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
MS,

You reselling through HM? If so I used your stuff to rebed everything but the toe rail. Worked well. Tenacious stuff and thinner than the 1/4" stuff I used before. Then launched at 6:00 PM from Bug Light and spent the night on Richmond. Great day coming back yesterday. Lazy but an honest 5 knots (near hull speed for me)

Don

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
MS,

You reselling through HM? If so I used your stuff to rebed everything but the toe rail. Worked well. Tenacious stuff and thinner than the 1/4" stuff I used before. Then launched at 6:00 PM from Bug Light and spent the night on Richmond. Great day coming back yesterday. Lazy but an honest 5 knots (near hull speed for me)

Don
Yes Hamilton has Bed-It Tape, glad you liked it. It was a beautiful weekend, today a bit rainy...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the acrylic to the the aluminum frame use 795. For frame to deck you can used butyl or any sealant you choose..
Great, thank you sir!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I've had very good luck with Dow Sylgard to seal fixed acrylic portlights to FG and aluminum. It was recommended by the local glass shop here in a maritime neighborhood. It is a very messy proposition requiring masking areas where you don't want it. I believe it is the same material used to seal automotive windshields.

I've used other sealants and the Sylgard is far and away the best I've used with acrylic. There may be other solutions, such as Mainesail's approach, but I am comfortable with Sylgard.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The oft repeated cliche says that silicone sealant has no place on a boat. I do not like to experiment with something like sealant.

So if I think I might want to take it apart sometime in the future I use 3M 4200.

If I am absolutely sure I want a permanent job then 3M 5200.

TOP TIP Buy small tubes unless you know you need a lot and keep them in the fridge even if unopened.

TOP TIP TWO After you have watched your hypalon patch you applied using the supplied 2 part glue on your dink peel off after a month try 3M 5200, My rowlock is still stuck on after 3 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your thinking of using a silicone product on a boat I would highly recommend the Dow Corning 795. I've used it on all my hatches, glass deck plates, stanchion bases and a bit of everywhere on my Cheoy 38'. It does not cure super hard and when applied to clean surfaces adheres to even the wood (apply when wood is dry). Some of the uses are 3 and 4 years old with not ever a leak and when you want to change out something it can be removed with minor effort. I think there are several products out there which work well in the marine environment but when one doesn't know how to use them they get a bad rep. The other great thing about it is it costs about a third or less that some of the over rated "marine "caulks.
That's just my opinion...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Butyl caulk will seal great but IF you ever wish to take the caulked part off or if you get too much butyl applied you will have a permanent mess. Butyl can be removed with Acetone but then you risk damaging the surfaces it was applied to. I have used the Dow 795 RTV (otherwise known as silicone) in many installations of walk in coolers and freezers without a problem, but that is different than uses in a sailing vessel. HOWEVER, bedding a window pane, sealing a fixed panel, or a similar application I would never use butyl IF it might sometime need to be removed. Just my experience......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts