SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mast base on our Mac 25 that must be remounted and was wondering what to seal it and the bolts with. Seems that butyl tape would work well for this but wanted to check with you experts first. I am sealing cleats and such with it that see larger forces on them than this which really sees no force but that of being pushed down by the mast and stays, so it seems ok.

Any thoughts on this one?

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you want to seal the water in the mast?
Not sealing the mast, the base the mast sits in that couples the mast to the compression post below. Bolts go through the SS plates (2) then then the cabin top to be backed below with a SS bracket that connects to the post.

On that note, should there be any treatment done when putting a plate of SS to a plate of SS? In this case it is the mast bracket and a garhauer mast base plate. Should I lanocote that or is it ok since they are both SS?

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would use the butyl tape to seal the plate down and caulk around the bolts/screws with some caulk when you put them in. The caulk is for extra protection.
Why use both and how would you use both effectively together? Or are you saying to use the caulk instead of the butyl at the bolts but use butyl on just the bracket underside?

·
Registered
845 Posts
use the caulk instead of the butyl at the bolts but use butyl on just the bracket underside?
Correct

Use butyl to seal the whole underside of the plate, then use caulk when you put the screws in for extra protection.

On that note, should there be any treatment done when putting a plate of SS to a plate of SS? In this case it is the mast bracket and a garhauer mast base plate. Should I lanocote that or is it ok since they are both SS?
I wouldn't see this being an issue. If this was a 100' sailboat maybe some engineering would be involved. I wouldn't anticapate any issues with this be both SS.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
With two s/s plates there should be no problem, but I can't see any reason not to spray something between them. Shouldn't be able to create any problem, and should ensure the plates come apart easily if you ever need to.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
you could grease it

have a drain hole or grind a slit if there is no where for trapped water to flow out as it is right now

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm not sure why you need/want to seal the SS mast plate but whatever. You really only need to seal any thru hull/deck penetration ie the bolts. I've found the butyl method to be the best and virtually fool proof. Bevel the hole, wrap the bolts with the butyl and tighten.(see the mainsail post) Should be leak free and easily removable. My quest is to do away with using caulk whenever possible.

John

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you could grease it

have a drain hole or grind a slit if there is no where for trapped water to flow out as it is right now
I'm not sure why you need/want to seal the SS mast plate but whatever. You really only need to seal any thru hull/deck penetration ie the bolts. I've found the butyl method to be the best and virtually fool proof. Bevel the hole, wrap the bolts with the butyl and tighten.(see the mainsail post) Should be leak free and easily removable. My quest is to do away with using caulk whenever possible.

John
Not sure what you guys mean but I am just sealing the holes that go through the deck that are used for bolting the plates down. Just like I do with a cleat or other deck hardware. Not sealing the mast itself though, just the holes through the deck.

Interesting idea to not use any to go around the plate itself. I was just going on Mainesail's post on how to bed hw in the tape.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Interesting idea to not use any to go around the plate itself. I was just going on Mainesail's post on how to bed hw in the tape.
Butyl will be perfect for this application. No need for any sealant if the directions are followed. Clean parts & deck, bevel, butyl cone, compress slowly, clean up....

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Butyl will be perfect for this application. No need for any sealant if the directions are followed. Clean parts & deck, bevel, butyl cone, compress slowly, clean up....
And there it is straight from the man himself! Thanks Maine, your articles are becoming like our textbooks around here. Us peeps doing this stuff for the first time owe you big for all your contributions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts