SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OUPV 25 Ton
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read mainsails suggestion about bedding hardware with butyl tape. I've been getting mixed reviews at my local boat yard and club. Anyone actually used this stuff for bedding hardware.
Thanks

·
Ticon 30
162 Posts
I have used it, it is great. Make sure you get a good quality tape, it is not all the same.
Canadian Sailcraft used butyl to bed hardware, after 15/20yrs, they were still not leaking.
Read the 'Sticky" on rebedding hardware with Butyl by Mainsail, one of the 1st posts in the Gear and Maintenance section

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you watch Don Casey's older videos on youtube regarding bedding hardware, he has put disclaimers on all of them regarding the use of silicone, stating that his preferred and suggested method today is to use butyl tape. If it's good enough for Don Casey, it's plenty good enough for me.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I am adding deck hardware to my Coronado 25 with butyl and it is working out well, I will ber rebedding all the rest of the hardware and stanchions etc... with butyl. There is a butyl putty that you want to stay away from and make sure you get a tape that is of good quality, do your research and then go to work...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
MaineSail sells top grade stuff. My 30 year old boat has it In the deck joint and it is still pliable and watertight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have rebedded deck hardware, port lights and the winch bolts on a venture 22 with butyl tape from Mainesail. After 3 years, no leaks on anything. Plenty good enough performance for me to buy 2 more rolls for my new to me Tartan 34c.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Suggest you try working with 3M 420 or similar compound and then try working with Butyl tape.
You will never look back.

·
19,489 Posts
..... My 30 year old boat has it In the deck joint and it is still pliable and watertight.
As is ours, same age...

Order it from Maine Sail, follow his tips, and I think you'll be golden.

·
OUPV 25 Ton
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought some at an RV store. It's very easy to work with compared to caulking/adhesive and faster to clean up. I bed my jib track today and I actually liked working with it. Reminds me of silly putty. I had several leaks that appear to be gone. Awesome stuff.

·
19,489 Posts
I bought some at an RV store. It's very easy to work with compared to caulking/adhesive and faster to clean up. I bed my jib track today and I actually liked working with it. Reminds me of silly putty. I had several leaks that appear to be gone. Awesome stuff.
Aha! a convert!! ;)

Next time suggest you use a higher grade product for better longevity...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I ordered a couple rolls last fall from MaineSail. I never received them but it wasn't his fault. My stupid little Podunk Post Office said they delivered it to my house. Not so. Then I filled out the insurance forms (MaineSail insured the shipment) and sent that off…nothing as of yet. Oh well…I was fortunate enough to find a high quality batch locally and it worked great. The stuff I've found at RV stores is not much good. It doesn't stretch very much and is not as sticky. I'm still looking forward to trying Maine's stuff as everyone here raves about it being the best of the best.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've read mainsails suggestion about bedding hardware with butyl tape. I've been getting mixed reviews at my local boat yard and club. Anyone actually used this stuff for bedding hardware.
Thanks
I have used butyl tape with good results.
Before I read about in mainsails post, we got the same advice when we installed new windows with aluminium frames on the boat from the manufacturers of the window.
One of the arguments was that since butyl newer sets, you can tighten the screw clamping the frame if it ever starts leaking.

The only "problem" I have found is that it tend to make grey streaks on vertical surfaces (under the windows).
Exposed butyl will attract dirt an get a gray surface after a while.

A trick that I have not tested is to put a small string of sikaflex or similar stuff over the exposed surface.

But I think that the good sides with using this stuff outweighs this.

I would be curious to know what kind of bad experience you have heard.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Butyl, quality butyl is the choice to make. I am a little leery about using it in vertical applications though. Please, MS and others, correct me if I'm wrong. My portlights were set in butyl and fastened with screws. Over the years and many BTUs, the butyl dribbled out and down the cabin to the deck. I ended up pulling the plexi, and rebedding with structural glazing tape and Dow 795. That's another story. My point was that butyl doesn't harden appreciably, if at all, and may be better suited for level or near level applications. Then again, the stuff I took off might have been the cheap stuff. Get the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Butyl, quality butyl is the choice to make. I am a little leery about using it in vertical applications though. Please, MS and others, correct me if I'm wrong. My portlights were set in butyl and fastened with screws. Over the years and many BTUs, the butyl dribbled out and down the cabin to the deck. I ended up pulling the plexi, and rebedding with structural glazing tape and Dow 795. That's another story. My point was that butyl doesn't harden appreciably, if at all, and may be better suited for level or near level applications. Then again, the stuff I took off might have been the cheap stuff. Get the good stuff.
I consider the manufacturers of my windows to be experts..
Five years since we replaced the old Plexiglas with aluminium framed windows, no problem with the butyl seeping out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That's my point. It's probably the good stuff. By the way, I'm an engineer at one of those companies, considered the expert in the office. But we will rarely use butyl in a sloped application and only on our less expensive or commercial units. That could be because "we've always done it this way." though. I was giving room for those who may have better sources or habits than a nationwide glazing supplier like us, to add their two cents.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
IIRC the hull to deck joints on the old C&C's were bedded just with butyl tape. Thrity years later, all you have to do is tighten the bolts, trim off any butyl that oozes out, and you're still watertight.

Butyl tape is great stuff, you just have to consider that it never 'cures' or 'sets' and since it stays flexible, you may see some creep out after a while. No big deal, just trim it off and tighten again if necessary.

Maine's no the only one to endorse this way of sealing things.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Suggest you try working with 3M 420 or similar compound and then try working with Butyl tape.
You will never look back.
What happens with the 4200, sticky mess?

·
599 Posts
I bought some from an RV store - not so good. Seals well, but in summer viscosity reduced and it ran. Buy from Maine Sail. Great product.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts