SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy! I have heard that great deals, especially nowadays, can be had in US compared with Canada. As a Canadian (in Toronto) other than travelling over to NY, what procedures would I need to follow to purchase and return it to Canada?

thanks,
don

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Campbdon-

Lots of good threads on this in the past year... Try these three to start with. Also, recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of sailnet. :)

non resident to buy a yacht in usa,how to do it? - SailNet Community

Canadian buying US boat - SailNet Community

Importing sail boat into Canada from USA - SailNet Community

Learn how to search Sailnet to do a bit of research on your own in the future... :) BTW, you're often better off searching Sailnet via google than you are using the internal search engine which isn't as effective in many cases.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually It is super simple. The US Coast Guard and Canadian Coast Guard have a Mutual Recognition Agreement. US standards are accepted in Canada and Vice Versa. The only exception is compliance labels. Canada requires a Conformance Label which you get from the Canadian Coast Guard. If the boat manufacturer sells boats in Canada they can take care of this for you. There is some paperwork. Otherwise, it's buy the boat and have it delivered, or deliver it yourself. Here is a link to the Canadian Coast Guard Office of Boating Safey on importing boats from the US. Purchase / Transfer of Boat - Office of Boating Safety - Transport Canada It's on the lower half of the page.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts