SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,957 Posts
I am not familiar with a model called the Bristol 39. There was as Bristol 40 which was between 39 and 40 feet, and a Bristol 38.8 which was a between 38 and 39 feet on deck. Given the date that you are asking about, I am assuming that you are looking at a Bristol 40. While these are very pretty boats, they were never very good sailors when compared to other boats of that length and era. Build quaility of the 1960's era Bristols was not all that great either (one step down from Pearson which was not all that good back then either).

On the other hand, the Bristol 38.8 was a great boat in most ways.

Of course the real question is what do you plan to do with the boat. If you plan to daysail and over night in an areas with predominantly moderate winds and with a good sized crew aboard, then this is a good boat. If you plan to do more serious cruising or sail in an area with predomainantly heavy or predominantly light air, the Bristol 39/40 is a very poor choice.

Jeff

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff.
Good question about the use.
The boat in question is on Yachtworld.com..."Fusileer".
I had a Tayana in my 20's...now looking for a weekend boat. She does strike me as rather small and delicate.
I'll be sailing as a single female with 1-2 others...will need to overnight at some points.

My main concern is hull integrity and please..no teak decks!

Her price alows me to keep my real estate...but then I get a little crazy and
want to chuck it all for anything that floats.

Hinckley B40's are on my list and I wish Petmac would take those photos off the site as I literally get short of breath.

I'm trying to approach this boat buying in a logical manner.
Thanks again

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jody.
The plan is to leave the Pacific Northwest every summer and keep her in Nova Scotia. I'll live on her and putter around the coast.
I was also wondering about the large number of Bristol 35s on the market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts