SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking for a sea-kindly cruiser with 2 good cabins and a reliable reputation. The late 1980s ericson 38 has been our benchmark but we have been quoted large sums for transporting one to Australia ( buy in the US for $US80,000 and land in Australia for $A230,000!)

This has made us look closer to the home and we have been interested in the New Zealand made Chieftain 38 (centre cockpit - aft cabin). Does anyone know this type of boat and have any thoughts??

Magpie

·
Registered
418 Posts
We have been looking for a sea-kindly cruiser with 2 good cabins and a reliable reputation.

This has made us look closer to the home and we have been interested in the New Zealand made Chieftain 38 (centre cockpit - aft cabin). Does anyone know this type of boat and have any thoughts??

Magpie
Not familiar with the Chieftain 38 but there is a 1986 model closer to home here.

1986 Chieftain 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. We have been looking at that one on the web. Next step is to go and have a look in real life.

Magpie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Magpie,
just read your post on the Cheiftain 38 and just wondering how you went with your hunt. We bought our C 38 some 18 months ago and have been having fun ever since. We have found the boat to be a fast, safe and comfortable cruiser easily handled by two.

Greg and Sue
Lake Macquarie
NSW Aus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chieftain 38

Hi Greg and Sue

I saw your posts about how much you are enjoying the Chieftain, but couldn't figure out how to contact you directly. We decided against the Chieftain in the end because, from what I could tell at a distance, the boom didn't offer head height clearance in the cockpit. The measurements I got sent from New Zealand put the boom at my shoulder level and I was a bit wary about being quick enough to duck!

Anyway, we finally bought (yesterday!) a Beneteau M38. It was built in 1990 and, as far as I can find out, it is a Beneteau 38s5 built in the US and modified for the Moorings Charter Company with a shoal draught and a shortened rig.

The plan is to sail it from Melbourne up the east coast to north Queensland.

Maybe we could come and visit you at Lake Macquarie!

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Chieftain. It looks like a great boat.

Michael

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Michael,
congratulations on the Bene. When we were looking we were on a fairly strict budget and the Chieftain was to good to pass up. Your quite right on the height of the boom but being a short A I dont have to much of a problem;) . We do have plans in the future to raise the boom which is not a big job.
If you are coming north please keep in contact as Sue and I love catching up with fellow criusers. We have a couple of weeks off shortly with the plan to sail up to Lauriton (Camden Haven) just for a bit of fun and experience.
Please feel free to contact us anytime at [email protected] if we can be of any assistance

Greg and Sue
Lake M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts